PDA

View Full Version : Tank Vs. Sweater Box

Nova89
04-14-2007, 06:56 PM
I wanted to know which is really better for housing snakes and are there any risks. When my kingsnake gets bigger I was thinking about getting a sweater box because its light, easier to clean, and can keep in warmth and humidity longer. What do you think about this? Do any of you use sweater boxes?

Nova89
04-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh yeah, it's much cheaper too;)

Cazador
04-14-2007, 07:34 PM
I use sweater boxes (actually plastic shoe boxes) as hibernacula for brumating snakes. They're very convenient for that purpose, but my biggest complaint about them is that you can't see through them very well. Be sure to drill MANY, MANY holes in the sides and lids to provide adequate ventilation. I also use larger plastic boxes to keep snakes that aren't on display (see below). They're functional, but not attractive. Like you mentioned, they're cheap, but I prefer to see as many animals as possible. That's why I prefer glass or Plexiglas enclosures.

Rick

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC06792.JPG

abcat1993
04-14-2007, 07:51 PM
If you're displaying it, then go with the tank, and try to get glass too, it doesn't scratch. But if you're just keeping it in your room or something then put it in a box.

Nova89
04-14-2007, 08:10 PM
If you're displaying it, then go with the tank, and try to get glass too, it doesn't scratch. But if you're just keeping it in your room or something then put it in a box.

Yup it's staying right in my room.

GartersRock
04-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I use plastic sweater and shoe boxes because I am going to start breeding and I don't have near enough room for a whole bunch of tanks. They seem to work really well for me.

Nova89
04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

GarterGuy
04-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I prefer tanks, just because I like to be able to look at my snakes and admire them. I do use the plastic boxes for babies, quarantine and for brumation.....they are a lot cheaper and a lot easier to handle, but I'm all about looks....LOL.:cool:
Roy

abcat1993
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
The only problem for me would be trying to explain to my dad that it'd be perfectly happpy, maybe even more happy without things staring at it (me, my dog), in a plastic box.

adamanteus
04-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I guess I'm with Roy (GarterGuy) on this one, I prefer to see my snakes in an attractive, well furnished vivarium. That's why I keep them...to look at and study. But I wouldn't knock anyone else for their choices, the snakes surely don't care!

abcat1993
04-16-2007, 08:25 PM
You're right, and if I had a Boa or Python, or some snake that's fairly large, then I'd probably keep it in a box, to greatly reduce costs, and holding those snakes are more of the excitement since they do nothing all day.