PDA

View Full Version : went back to snake-catching place today again....

FitnessFreak
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
well i love how nobody in my area knows about this place so the snakes don't get disturbed.

i saw some snakes mating today... was pretty weird i must say lol

i must have seen about 20 diff snakes, although i don't think i saw more than 1 female?

anyways to the point, around when do you think the females will be giving birth?

i'm not sure if they have mated before today but they definately did today so when would you guys guess the babies would be comin out?

FitnessFreak
04-15-2007, 04:57 PM
another question :
just hypothetical tho i wont actually do this..

if i caught the female that was ....geting friendly... with the other snakes and brought her home to my habitat terrerium i built(50 gallons) wud she have babies in there?

LeapinLeo
04-15-2007, 05:13 PM
possibly. That is what I think of doing in like June or July

Cazador
04-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Gestation is normally between 90 and 120 days in captivity, dependent upon temperature. Higher temperatures speed up gestation, but there is also a higher occurence of kinked tails or twisted vertebrae if the temps get too warm. If the temps are too cold, the young are more likely to become over-developed and not pass at all.

FitnessFreak
04-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Gestation is normally between 90 and 120 days in captivity, dependent upon temperature. Higher temperatures speed up gestation, but there is also a higher occurence of kinked tails or twisted vertebrae if the temps get too warm. If the temps are too cold, the young are more likely to become over-developed and not pass at all.
this is in the wild though not captivity....

Cazador
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM
this is in the wild though not captivity....

Not at all. In fact, there are a LOT more data available for gestation of captive snakes than for wild ones, but the bottom line is still that the length of gestation is primarily temperature dependent, with some variation among species. These projections are for snakes maintained at 20-28C. Use 100 days for planning purposes ;).

Rick