PDA

View Full Version : Why they make great pets...

LeapinLeo
04-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Lets make a thread on all the reasons why garters make good pets!Here are a few to start off

They are small
Very affordable
cute!

Do you guys got any?

ssssnakeluvr
04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
very inquisitive, active, as pretty if not prettier than other snakes.......

Sid
04-19-2007, 03:27 PM
They aren't nocturnal. Active during day light.
Simple needs/ care.

Sid

Dracaena828
04-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Seem to have lots of personality. when I had garters they were always favorites among all my friends for that reason.

LeapinLeo
04-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Got some good ones so far! Keep em comin!

Cazador
04-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Not to be a party pooper, but here are a few more reasons (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/636-why-garter-snakes.html).

stonyloam
04-19-2007, 09:16 PM
I have been interacting (feeding) a couple of wild snakes that have been visiting, and their "personalities" are just great. From what I have seen they make great active (don't just lie there) pets.

Raptor
04-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Very very friendly! Even wild caught garters warm up to you in as little as 2 weeks! I cant say the same for some other snake species.

guidofatherof5
04-16-2012, 05:47 AM
xos2MnVxe-c

Sorry, I just had to. That is on of the older threads.

Eight
04-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Generally speaking, snakes are one of the few animals that tolerate humans very quickly. I've found my garter inquisitive, quick to calm down and in general just very pleasant. I love how its awake when I am and is always having a nose around.

EasternGirl
04-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Last night while I was eating dinner and my cat and dog were literally fighting with each other on my lap over my steak while I was trying to eat...I got to thinking that garters make great pets because you don't have to worry about them begging for your food while you are eating, or crapping on the floor, or eating all of your plants, or chewing up the furniture....I could go on and on here...:D.

tress29
04-16-2012, 09:12 AM
When you change their litter, they don't think it's a toy to be dug in, scooped out and spread all over the place, like ferrets do!!

mustang
04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
1.you can make em do tricks
2.they pick up girls
3.they pick up MANY MANY MANY MANY MANYMANYMANYMANYMANYMANY GIRLS!
4. theyre not loud
5.when they runaway, theyll ususually come back to sleep on your netbook/computer/radio.
6.they pick up girls
7.they arent hard to feed
8. they pick up girls
9.they can go a while w/o food (perfect for college student!)
10.they pick up girls
11.they have personality
12. they pick up girls
and as far as chick magnets go 4745

katach
04-18-2012, 12:46 AM
They are hypoallergenic. My middle step son is allergic to anything with fur, as am I, just not as bad. They are great for us! They don't bark or meow, or wake you up in the middle of the night to want outside. I can watch them for hours just exploring. They are the best pet I've ever had!

infernalis
04-18-2012, 04:59 AM
Nice and silent....

harpercat
04-18-2012, 06:19 AM
They are small, cute, friendly, inquisitive, intelligent, full of character, and above all they just seem to LOVE interacting with humans. They enjoy being cuddled and petted, crawling up your sleeves and round your neck, curling up in your hair, and they always seem so pleased to see you. I really do love garters. I've been keeping snakes for 30 years and when I started out, garters were THE starter snake. I fell iin love with my first garter as a teenager when I saw them at a boyfriend's house. He fairly quickly became history, but my love for garters only increased! LOL

tress29
04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
They don't bark or meow, or wake you up in the middle of the night to want outside.
Yeah, they've never woken me up 30 minutes before my alarm was to go off, just because the cat walked by their cage.

EasternGirl
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
They don't fight with each other to steal my place in the bed, or chase each other all over the house at 3am and wake everyone up. They don't lift their legs...because they don't have any..lol...on the furniture and pee all over it, or bark non-stop while I'm eating. Something I was thinking last night after my chihuahua bit the crap out of my hand...people always ask me.."Aren't you afraid your snakes will bite you?'. I'm like..."Have you ever been bitten by an angry chihuahua? He has half-inch long incisors that are a couple millimeters in diameter...it doesn't feel good! You think I'm worried about a garter snake bite?". Geesh...

d_virginiana
04-18-2012, 09:48 AM
people always ask me.."Aren't you afraid your snakes will bite you?'. I'm like..."Have you ever been bitten by an angry chihuahua? He has half-inch long incisors that are a couple millimeters in diameter...it doesn't feel good! You think I'm worried about a garter snake bite?". Geesh...

I know right! My hands and arms are covered in scars from 20 years of living with a pack of dogs, cats, and various other furries. I've never had a garter (or any other type of snake for that matter) draw blood.
My chihuahua on the other hand...