PDA

View Full Version : our cat is dying

drache
04-21-2007, 03:47 AM
this has been a bit of a sad week, with Zakir declining rapidly.
he is old and it's kidney failure with protein in the urine.
so I've been giving him subcutaneous fluids this week
and feeling sad
yesterday his legs finally failed him
Jeff and I put him on some towels over night
he hasn't moved
now his breath is like a squawk
and slowing down
I think in a couple of hours at the most
he will be gone

adamanteus
04-21-2007, 03:51 AM
Rhea, You're not having a good month at all are you? It seems your Mark Twain quote..."Life is just one damn thing after another" is particularly appropriate at the moment. So sorry to hear about Zakir.

Stefan-A
04-21-2007, 04:32 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that.:( Maybe euthanasia would be the most merciful option right now?

James.
There's an alternate version of that saying; "Life isn't just one damn thing after another, it's the same damn thing over and over again."

Sid
04-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Sorry to hear the sad news.

Sid

drache
04-21-2007, 04:56 AM
he doesn't seem to be suffering, and it won't be long now

I think Mark Twain was a bit of an adventurer, so he probably never got to experience "the same damn thing over and over again"

mikm
04-21-2007, 08:16 AM
hello Rhea ... so sorry ... two years ago I did much the same with my girl Rottie who was 11. She had been epileptic since she was 4 so she had a long, happy life. Her passing came about suddenly ... she had eaten well the night before and all seemed normal. She had had surgery for bladder stones in January, I managed to finally get a wound on her back to completely heal in April and she passed in June. When I found her in distress in that morning, I phoned the vet in a panic. She was very kind, and gently suggested that I bring her in to be euthanized. Much like you, I said if she appeared to be suffering needlessly, I would. She quietly slipped into a coma and passed ...

all the best ... hang in there ...
marian

Pinky
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm sorry to hear that :( I lost my Cat last year and it was hard on me. He was 5yrs old and died from a UTI. It was horrible watching him his last few hours.

Hope your week gets better! :)

Snaky
04-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Very sad to hear, but I'm sure Zakir will have had a very good life with you. Here we've also had some very sad stories with some of our dogs and cats, but it's always a bit comforting to know they had it good with you.

drache
04-21-2007, 10:47 AM
he just went
life just slipped out of him
I'll miss him

adamanteus
04-21-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry Rhea. X

stonyloam
04-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Rhea & Mikhaila: Been there:(. We try to look at it this way: It is part of the deal we make when we get a pet that we will outlive it. If you have done your best to give it a good life then you can't be too sad. I look at the string of (incredibly unlikely) events that put me together with my dog, I know fate had to have a hand in it. With a little luck your next cat will give you years of companionship in a happy home. Best wishes.

mikm
04-21-2007, 01:56 PM
... hey Terry ... the guy who wrote the lyrics "ain't no kindness in the face of strangers" must not have lent his sunroom out to a group of free loading snakes :)

enjoy the beautiful weekend weather ...
marian

Cazador
04-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Rhea and Mikhaila,

I'm sorry to hear about Zakir death, but your love comes through loud and clear. Maybe it would help Mikhaila to make a scrap book of the good times and good memories that you had with Zakir, so that the good times aren't lost over the years? My best wishes are for you.

Rick

Gyre
04-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm so sorry, both Rhea and Mikhaila. We've lost our old cat recently, and one of my friends passed away this week. It's really a blessing when they get a peaceful death, as sad as it always is.

And Mihaila, when I loose a pet, I always do a portrait of them when they were young and healthy. Makes me feel a little better.

Take care,

Thamnophis
04-21-2007, 05:48 PM
My condolences, Rhea and Mikhaila...

suzoo
04-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Rhea & Mikhaila,
I am so sorry! I know I always get so blasted attached to my pets, it feels like part of me dies when I lose one. It's been 5 years since I lost my companion dog, and I still haven't gotten attached to one since. I hope it doesn't take that long for you! My Condolences!

GarterGuy
04-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Rhea and Mikhaila,
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your little one. I lost my little girl Ash this past X-mas to kidney failure, she died in my arms. I know how much it must hurt and I'll keep you both in my prayers.
Roy