PDA

View Full Version : Tub size

Atlas511
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
What size tub do you house your adult T.Radix in?

guidofatherof5
12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
That all depends on the size of the radix.
I give as much room as possible unless it's a group of babies. I like to keep the babies close together.

ConcinusMan
12-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Also make sure that if you're heating with tape or heat pad, that it's big enough to warm part of the bottom without overheating the entire tub.

zooplan
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I house all my snakes in glass terrariums, the biggest are 80 cm wide, 60 cm deep and 40 cm high, those are for single females or a couple during mating season.

Atlas511
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Ive had alot of sucess with no heat so far. I would love to house them in a rack and an open to suggestions

guidofatherof5
12-07-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure what area you are from but Craigslist.com is a great place to pickup aquariums and other reptile related items. Usually at a greatly reduced price.
Many people just want to get rid of the stuff to get it out of their way.
Just an idea.;)

ssssnakeluvr
12-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I keep mine in a rack system..... I use 28 at tubs for the adults and they do fine

Atlas511
12-08-2010, 08:49 AM
THANKS GUYS! I want to centralize them in one area and a rack seem to be my best option.

ConcinusMan
12-08-2010, 01:31 PM
To each his own, I suppose. Garter snakes as a general rule, are sun-loving, (love to bask and explore) active snakes. Seems like a shame to hide them away in a rack. I'd much prefer to have them in glass enclosures on a shelf system so you can observe them without disturbing them.

ssssnakeluvr
12-08-2010, 09:15 PM
To each his own, I suppose. Garter snakes as a general rule, are sun-loving, (love to bask and explore) active snakes. Seems like a shame to hide them away in a rack. I'd much prefer to have them in glass enclosures on a shelf system so you can observe them without disturbing them.
yep.... I would love to have the room to put mine in glass tanks... you got 80 of them laying around I could buy real cheap :rolleyes: oh, would also need a bigger critter room :cool:

ConcinusMan
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
yep.... I would love to have the room to put mine in glass tanks... you got 80 of them laying around I could buy real cheap :rolleyes: oh, would also need a bigger critter room :cool:

One might say that there are too many snakes then. Well, for me anyway. You're absolutely right Wayne, and I see your point. I'm not trying to run a production facility or have a hundred or more snakes. I just want a few snakes to enjoy and breed just a few.

Lord knows there's some other garters I'd love to have but if I can't have them in glass and manage to have room, then I must restrain myself and/or part with a few I have to make room. That's just me personally. I am diversifying my collection, but trying ever so hard to not have to add tanks. Still, it does look like I might have to add a 20 gallon or two by next season but that will just about put me at max capacity and heaven forbid any should grow to the point of needing bigger tanks.:rolleyes: And for me, yes, it's about room, but not only about room. I want few enough that I can appreciate them. I don't want so many that I can't tell you how many I have. right Steve? :rolleyes:*ehem*

I'm not sure what area you are from but Craigslist.com is a great place to pickup aquariums and other reptile related items. Usually at a greatly reduced price.
Many people just want to get rid of the stuff to get it out of their way.
Just an idea.;)

Not just an idea. This is what I have done. If I had paid more than $1 a gallon for slide-lock reptile enclosures,(or less) or more than 1/3 retail price (or less) for some of my lights and stuff, I'd be so broke, I wouldn't be able to feed them!

Just recently, my local craigslist had an ad for one of these: Exo-Terra Glass Terrarium - 18 in. x 18 in. x 18 in. (http://tiny.cc/32bs8)

They were asking $40 including lights, bulbs, unopened reptibark substrate, and other cool stuff to go with it! (added up to at least $200 retail)

Craigslist. I love it. First I got a wonderful Pueblan milk snake there. Adopted, with very reasonable "rehoming fee" Later, I used craigslist to trade her for a 55 gallon long for my garters, and buy dome lights for 5 bucks each. And of course, there's always slide lock tanks of various sizes, and accessories for dirt cheap at almost any given time. I've never had to pay more than $1 a gallon for slide lock tanks in good shape.

Some places are better than others of course. It helps that I'm in a major metro area (actually made up of several cities that spans across state lines)

Want a normal BP, corn snake, bearded dragon, CA king, or boa? free, or practically free at any given time around here. Look no farther than craigslist.

ConcinusMan
12-10-2010, 02:59 AM
Speaking of craigslist. Just found this one:

120 gallon tank
Dimensions: 48" long, 29" Tall, 20" Deep. How's that for "tub" size? I mean, you could practically bathe in it.:p

60 bucks. Cant beat that.

Stefan-A
12-10-2010, 03:47 AM
What do you mean, "practically"? :D

Yeah, it's cheap. Go for it.

ConcinusMan
12-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Dangit. I was too late. It was gone the first day. They just neglected to remove the post.

guidofatherof5
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Dangit. I was too late. It was gone the first day. They just neglected to remove the post.

Ya snooze, Ya loose:D

ConcinusMan
12-10-2010, 02:38 PM
No biggie. I had no idea where I was going to put it anyway. I have a hunk of junk "hide a bed" couch in their room that needs to go before I'd have room for that. I just can't figure out how to get it out of the room and I have no idea how I got it in there in the first place. It was so long ago, (1992) I don't remember.