PDA

View Full Version : sad for me

krystalirelan@southslope.
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I just found out that the pet store I buy all of my reptile supplies from is closing. This is the only pet store in the area that is not a chain. She said she makes enough money for her and she enjoys the life but not enough money to hire outside help so she is run down (working 7 days a week for 5 years will do that) and wants a "normal" life for a while. The up side is she is contacting all of her faithful customers to offer them first shot at any reptiles she has left. We are now the owners of a Blizzard Corn and a Snow Corn. So we have an Iguana, a Red Tail Boa, 2 Garters, a breeding pair of Corns (ready to lay eggs in the next week or so) and 5 juvinile Corns. I think I am becoming insane. Feeding days are quite the adventure at our house!

OK my pity party is over, Thanks for joining me:)

Stefan-A
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Too bad. :(

Our local shop recently joined a chain. Haven't seen if they changed anything important, they still sell frozen mice. ;) Our chains have a fairly good reputation (generally better than those that don't belong to a franchise) and seem quite professional. It seems to opposite over there, especially considering how American hobbyists relate to the chains.

adamanteus
05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Shame the shop's closing, but it seems you have done alright out of it!

05-24-2007, 01:17 PM
over all the chains are ok for getting food. I would be very leary of buying an animal from them as the employees usually are part time high school or college students and not very knowledgeable and you never know where they got the animal. (Puppymill??) I did buy the garters from a chain, saw 'em and could not resist, but when I asked about what to feed and the last time they were fed no one knew:(

Stefan-A
05-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I think my regular shop employs highschool students (the equivalent anyway), but the only thing they get to do, is to clean rabbit and guinea pig cages. Even cleaning the aquariums is left to the actual staff (2-3 always present). They don't get to annoy customers with their ignorance either. ;)

05-24-2007, 01:47 PM
you're to lucky

Stefan-A
05-24-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm starting to realize that. :) I also hope I'm not the only one here (in this town) that appreciates the professionalism.

Snaky
05-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Most of the time in the shops here only the owner knows something about the animals. The staff does only what they've been told and usually have little knowledge about the animals. But I can't blame them, working at a pet shop here is really a job to earn a bit of extra pocket money. So you see quite some new faces now and then.

06-30-2007, 09:49 PM
today was her last day. she did say she will pet sit for us though! so i was glad. also we were taking a walk this evening and saw thru a window a HUGH iguana. Just down the street!! It was about 10pm so I thought it would not be ok to knock on a door and say hey, i live down the street and have an iguana too!! hoping i will see some one out in the next few weeks though.