Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Where to get worms for food?

Awesome thanks everyone

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    I'm thinking I could shove them in the garage. I meant how big a container do they require, does it have to be very deep? Do you have to add water at all? What kind of substrate mix does it have to be, can it be normal compost or is that too pure. Thanks.
    I buy a couple of pots of 10 at a time... They don't survive long enough for me to worry about keeping them alive for more than a day or two.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    I'm thinking I could shove them in the garage. I meant how big a container do they require, does it have to be very deep? Do you have to add water at all? What kind of substrate mix does it have to be, can it be normal compost or is that too pure. Thanks.
    Heat/warmth will kill them. Add some wilted lettuce or other old veggies, or even damp newspaper for food if you plan to keep them a while (in a cool place). They are living beings, remember that.

I bought some nightcrawlers at the local bait shop for the first time 3 weeks ago. I will NEVER do that again. They bleed when you cut them and they suffer/squirm.

My little angels are on pinkies/safe fish from now on. No more nightcrawler nightmares for me!
    1.1 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Flame and Albino Flame)
    5.2 Canines

another way to catch your own is around the late evening take some lukewarm water i used to add a little dish soap to the water (its been so long im not sure if it actually helped anything)or when it has had a good rain before night fall and about an hour after dark start crawling or stepping VERY VERY carefully through your yard with a light and search for them. it will take a few grabs to get the hang of it they can be FAST but if your slow walking around as in very little vibrations you can get LOADS of night crawlers in one night to keep in fridge start your own bin or whatever. i usually just make some warm water or a night it rains go out and get one or two crawlers and feed after a little rinse and cut.

"First shed, A Success" the_edsta's Avatar

Food source questions irk me when it comes to wild caught (anything). I lost my first garter, and looking back, I am very suspicious of the wild fish I'd feed her, particularly because of the amount of pesticides, fertilizers, and herbicides used in this area because of golf courses (and a general sense of everyone having to keep a 'perfect' lawn).
    1.0 Florida Blue (Sirtalis), 1.0 Parietalis, 1.1 Marcianus
    0.1 infernalis, 1.0 Eques obscurus
    6.5 Pantherophis 0.1 Scarlet King; 1.0 Cali King; 1.1 PueblaCorn;
    2.3 Milk/King hybrids (new!)

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Like wolfe said i use a 5 gallon bucket of warm water with a little dish soap give it a couple min. You should have hundreds...keep in the fridge with moist not wet soil should last at least 6 months unless you forget to moisten like i do then you will have a funky smell....yuck!!