Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: where do u guys buy worms?

Has anyone had problems with pesticides or herbicides in the walmart or other bait night crawlers? Does anyone know where/how they are harvested?

I believe they are harvested from golf courses and fields. I was told there is a video on YouTube about it. It might even be a DMF Bait video. I'll see if I can locate it.

Check out this video starting @ 2:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9dDl4L4xI
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thats interesting, thanks. I'm now officially concerned about the possibility of pesticides having a detrimental or even lethal effect on my garters. They accumulate in their body over time and could gradually reach a lethal level.

Joe

I have not had any problems with walmart nightcrawlers yet, and I've been feeding them for over a year. But with that being said, I do prefer digging up earthworms from my organic garden. Unfortunately that takes too long though.
    Mel
    Proud owner of 9 amazing garter snakes and many other reptiles

Hi, I'm New Here!

Have you tried watering your lawn and using an electric rod? Or just collecting them at night after a good watering? As I said, if the Walmart night crawlers are being collected from golf courses there's little doubt that they have accumulated pesticides and herbicides. The question is how are these poisons building up in your snakes, and to what effect? If you happen to get a batch of worms collected shortly after a pesticide application its possible that would be enough to do real damage. I know one meticulous keeper who had a mass die off of his garters one winter. His speculation was pesticide residue on night crawlers.

Anyway, its something to keep in mind.

I wasn't disagreeing, simply stating my experience. Unfortunately no matter where you buy your night crawlers you will have this problem. I currently have a bin that I breed some earthworms in, but they don't reproduce fast enough for the amount I need. I'm not sure what your point is, all of our snakes are goners because we feed walmart nightcrawlers? I think the real question is where can we buy ones that are for sure safe?
    Edit: Another thing to point out, is that we don't ONLY feed night crawlers. I feed a mixture of night crawlers, pinkies, and fish to all of my garters. So the small amount of pesticides that might be on the worms, is that really enough to do harm? Just another thing to think about.
    Mel

I buy them from a marine store near my house. They actually know me by now...they always say "Hi...you here to get some nightcrawlers for your snakes?"...lol. It's $3.50 for a dozen. But another idea is to start a worm farm. I did that a couple of years ago during the winter. Cabela's online has kits. You have to get the worms to start but then you can keep them throughout the cold months.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Thats a really good price. I have a nice small fishing store near my house that always has nice large nightcrawlers. Unfortunately they are only open during the summer.
    Mel

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

i just ordered 100 canadian nightcrawlers for $16 forgot what shipping was (was cheap) on amazon.com
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

Really?!?
    Looks like I will be ordering some night crawlers today!
    Mel