Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Never shed

Re: wild garter snake that got into some trouble wont eat?

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Have you tried earthworms or night crawler pieces? Take a small lid of some kind(icing lid) kill a few slugs(stopping them from crawling away) put the dish in there and cover the tank. Check the next day to see the results. You can cut up earthworms also in the lid.

Yep at first when we bring him in that week we did with the night crawlers all they did is dried out but we didn't have any water in it too prevent that that and he probably was really stressed out the first week but he doeisnt seem stressed now. But i will try that today and see what he does

Also when i cover up the tank should i still keep the heatlamp on? Or will it be fine with it off when i cover it up for the day?

Little Brown snakes are cold tolerant so providing heat also must come with cool areas.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Little Brown snakes are cold tolerant so providing heat also must come with cool areas.

Hmm would it be better too put him in a bigger tank? Right now hes in a 10gal and really i think its a bit small cause the heat light provides the whole tank light. But not direct light on the whole tank just on the left side. But still lights up the other side.

I have another tank but its 25gal which i would think be a bit too big for him sense i herd some snakes don't like being in a big area well for smaller snakes.

So when i cover the tank with a sheet i should still have the light on? Right now in the house its around 68 too 70f but in his tank it varys around 75f at night and 80-84 in the day.

He mostly goes were the heatlamp is pointing down. than on the other side is his water bowl which he goes in there too soak and drink.

Does he have a hide?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

Does he have a hide?

Yep i made him 2 of them out paper towel holders is that good?

Quote Originally Posted by gordesky1 View Post
    Yep i made him 2 of them out paper towel holders is that good?
    A little trick many of us use on troubled eaters is to put the food dish under the hide so the snake and eat under cover.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

A little trick many of us use on troubled eaters is to put the food dish under the hide so the snake and eat under cover.

ohhh yea i see what you mean after searching google Going too use a whip cream bowl or something like that and make one than put the dish under there and see how that does

Will report back

Never shed

Welp have bad news the little guy passed away couple hours ago This pass week he started too open his mouth wide open and just kept doing it but still was active and drinking water. Today he was really acting bad even tho moving around but sometimes he kept going on his back with his mouth open till i help him back up.

Before i laid down he was still alive than i laid down for couple hours than woke up and he just laying there still with his mouth close and i moved him and no signs of life From how he was holding his mouth open it seems like either his heart was having trouble or his lungs cause he would bounce little like something stops than kick back in.. I guess the trauma he had did something with his insides.. He was strong little guy living 2 months:/

But yea we tried everything He just wouldn't eat anything tried worms,slugs,mealworms, Heck even fish fillet and even tried boiled chicken.. At first couple days ago i got a piece of fish in his mouse and he chewed it down. But yea wouldn't touch it again.. Tried putting everything in the hideaway were he goes in and covering the tank over night nothing..

But yea we got really attach too the little guy and he was used too us too cause he let us pick him up when i need too move him and i could put my hand right in front of him and he wouldn't bite or anything..

Going too buried the little guy in couple hours:/

But yea i wanted too give everyone a update which wasn't a good one:/

"Third shed In Progress"

Sorry to hear about the little guy passing, at least you tried everything you could with him. Hopefully one day you can have a better experience with another snake.

Thanks for giving the little-one a chance.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!