Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

babies decay snakes eating questions.

So my decay snake she had babies as i said in my older snake theadifigured i make a new thread for this issue. I took them out from the mother the same night cause i herd its the right thing too do.. And sense Monday morning 1am 10 babies... there was 11 but one didint make it 2 days ago... thinking it was a birth defect ... when they was born i been trying too give them something too eat and i tried fish fillet which i herd they go after that and they wouldn't .

I tried finding baby worms the pink light ones and cant find any worms in my big back yard... not even big ones.. So i found some down my other place but just big ones which im using for the mama snake. But i decided too just put a big one with the babies and after awhile they started too peck it and even took half of the tail side of the worm right off,

Than one of them had the tail piece in his mouth but its just way too big for him so he kept spiting it out and trying again. So i took that pieces and cut it in smaller pieces and one of them went right after it and had its in his month but yep seems too be too big too swallow it..

They would go nuts over small worms but i just cant find any of them:/

Days ago i talked too a pet shop and at first he didint know what snake i have and than he said is that a decay? And i said yep and he said for one they need too shed after birth too eat they wont eat anything till than which is about a week. Than he said they will eat soft body stuff maggots etc and will go nuts over those. Are they aloud too eat maggots tho cause thoes things play around in garbage and last i herd stuff like that aint good.. cause i herd red winglers worms are not good.

But yea i just like too get these guys bigger and maybe give them away or release them cause i cant keep 10 more snakes mainly because they will give birth too each other and yep...

Is there any trick or even place that i can find small worms? or something else they will eat? oh they drinking water good so i guess thats a plus so far.

Re: babies decay snakes eating questions.

Get a good pair of scissors and cut the big worms into tiny pieces. Walmart sell Canadian night crawlers also. Slugs and snails are also good. Small aquatic snails can be found around the shorelines of lakes. Don't worry about that shedding talk.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Do you have a garden or flowerbed? Has it been excessively dry? If not just get a shovel and dig up the dirt you will find small worms. If you have any rocks and stuff in your yard flip them looking for slugs underneath.

"First shed, A Success"

Lay a piece of plywood or thick cardboard in a shady spot in your yard and water it regularly to keep it damp. Small worms will collect under them. I have small worms that appear under my potted plants sitting outside in my yard. Good luck.

Never shed

Yep i even tried digging a hole and putting a piece of wood over it and soaked it and check the next night and nothing... But yea im going too chop one of the big ones i got up into small pieces and see what that does.

Last night some of them must've ate the piece that came off the worm cause i cut it in 2 and when i looked again those 2 was gone. Oh they also killed the worm cause from them biting at it.

But i see what they do when i chop pieces of it up. Dam shame cause i know they would easy eat babies worms like crazy... Just don't get it this yard was full of them last year and its a pretty big lot size yard...

Never shed

Got some pieces in with them just waiting now.. one nibble at it but that's it.. Also do they need a heat lamp? cause i have a extra one for my big one but i herd these little guys are very sensitive cause i been reading about babies so i mostly been keeping it by the big snake cage close too the light but not right over them. and i usely put a cloth on the side of the cage too block air cause we run air in the summer which keeps the house between 70 too 78c.

Never shed

So a hour ago i pop some pieces in with them put one in front of one and he put it in his month and eat it took awhile for him too get it down but he did. Than another one came over and eat a hard one that was from last night... but got it right down. the others so far not paying attention too them at the moment.. But hopefully they be like the other 2 and just go at them when they want too eat.

How long can these little guys survive with out eating? that's the main thing im worrying about sense its been a week now sense birth:/ They been drinking alot so that's not a issue just eating for the rest..

Got even smaller like 10 pieces in there with them now sitting on the paper towel so i guess i see if any of them gone when i wake up.

Add a little water to the worm pieces and place the food dish under their hide so they can eat in privacy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Add a little water to the worm pieces and place the food dish under their hide so they can eat in privacy.

Just made a hide for them and put the pieces on a small plastic lid with paper towel and i wet them and the paper towel and one went in there went right too one of them and snap at it and was in his mouth for about a minute and he digestion it

Others went in there and looked but so far pass it up.. But going too leave them alone for awhile and come back too them got a cloth over the sides of the tank also.

Wish mama snake ony had 3 too 5 and not 12 lol.. well 10 cause we lost that one couple days after:/ and one didn't make it from its yoke.. But i guess i should be glad she didn't have 30 something lol..

Also should i have a heat light over them? and what about misting the tank? At the moment i don't have one over them just one by the mama tank that shining on their tank little. my big snake she likes the normal light in the day than at night a uv heat light very faint light and she likes misting every once awhile. But for the babies im not sure cause i herd they very funny about stuff.

its about 75-78c were they at which is the house temp.

"Third shed In Progress"

You could give them a basking spot but they are crepuscular so they don't need it too much, mine did bask every other day or so for a little bit but they aren't big baskers, mostly hunting as it gets dark.

They can go a month or more without food but they will get pretty weak at that point. Just keep putting worms in there for them and leaving it overnight, chopped into very small pieces.

Hopefully you get some rain and it brings out the worms or slugs.