Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Bad Match Breeding

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    Although, wouldn't that make melanistics and stuff defects too?
    melanism isn't necessarily a defect, its a bit advantageous due to being able to absorb sunlight faster and warm the snake up quicker

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    melanism isn't necessarily a defect, its a bit advantageous due to being able to absorb sunlight faster and warm the snake up quicker
    On the other hand, birds spot melanistic individuals easier, so it's both a drawback and an advantage.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Not as easily as albinos. I can't imagine an albino lives very long in the wild..

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Yeah...
    It's weird. Its, with everything, "the morph". Most common. People who know nothing about that stuff know what an albino is. Yet, it's a defect. Seems weird.

Although, wouldn't that make melanistics and stuff defects too?
    I wouldn't consider melanism a defect, wild populations of melanistic animals exist and thrive. Not the case with amels! But melanism is a genetic mutation, just as albinism is. I Personally prefer normal animals to albinos... Albino animals are not as pretty IMO. Albinos cant see as well either because light coming in from all sides of their head with no melanin to block and regulate it will not allOw the eyes to function as they should
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Not as easily as albinos. I can't imagine an albino lives very long in the wild..
    A lot of them don't and majority found are young still, but adult animals of albino, leucistic, white sided and more have all been found.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Might make them easier for birds to spot, but there's also plenty of snake species that are black so I wouldn't think it'd make too much of a difference...
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

[QUOTE=aSnakeLovinBabe;I Personally prefer normal animals to albinos... Albino animals are not as pretty IMO. Albinos cant see as well either because light coming in from all sides of their head with no melanin to block and regulate it will not allOw the eyes to function as they should[/QUOTE]

Me too. I never really plan on getting one. I've always found them somewhat... unattractive... I mean, theyre cool, heck it's a garter snake, you can't not like it. But when I'm flipping through morphs, I see albino/snow, I think "eh... Next!"

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I like albinos and snows, and I think it'd be nice to have one some day, but I really prefer the more reddish colors like erythristics that can actually be found some places in nature.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Second shed In Progress" RdubSnider's Avatar

I've had great results with my albino checkereds. Normally mine eat chopped unscented pinky parts from birth and to date I've never had any jelly beans, kinked or still borns or any that died after birth while in my care from. However my pair is about 8 years old so there's a better chance mine aren't heavily inbred.
    personally I love albinos snows ery, s ect. But that's not to say I like them more than the normals. I feel at f2 definitely not past f3 they should be outcrossed
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    I like albinos and snows, and I think it'd be nice to have one some day, but I really prefer the more reddish colors like erythristics that can actually be found some places in nature.
    What and albinos can't?