Hi, I'm New Here!

Garter Snake can't quite defecate

I recently purchased a baby garter snake. When I checked on him this morning it was clearly having trouble fully defecating. It's been eating rosey reds so far and it's cage temps are in the mid-80s.

I currently having him soaking in warm water. I'm hoping that will help.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

I have other snakes but this is my first garter. I've never quite seen anything like this.

I've attempted to attach a pic but I'm on mobile - so I'm not sure it worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Garter Snake can't quite defecate

Any idea what that object is? Is it a partially digested fish? If this is part of the snake this is a very serious situation and one a Vet. needs to see. Once this problem is taken care or ditch the rosy reds, they are garbage food and contain Thiaminase. This enzyme blocks the absorption of Vit. B1 which can lead to death. Guppies, mollies and Gambusia are a much safer fish. Night crawlers are also a good food source.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

I might have to start breeding guppies or mollies. We don't have good feeder sources for them around here.

I want to get him to mice ASAP but it's so tiny.

I don't think it's like a prolapse from what I've seen in the past and online. I think it's fish.

But so far it's still there.

If it's just feces and not a prolapse or part of the snake I'd definitely keep soaking, that will hopefully soften whatever that is.

Edit: I'm thinking to ask now what kind of substrate is he on? It almost looks like a partially digested fish covered in dirt or something, maybe that was what dried it all out?

If you decide to remove this I think great caution must be taken especially if this is a fish. There may be sharp bones facing the wrong direction. Those bones could damage/puncture the anal canal or vent. This item needs to be identified first. As other have suggested warm water soaks are good. Even if you have to force them by using a small container which keeps the area under water most of the time. Removal is risky and would probably be done best by a Vet.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee