Hi, I'm New Here!

Injured wild garter

Hi,
    I have had an injured garter for about a month now. The snake is about 2 feet long and has a wound on its side where a round mass of guts have spilled out. When I picked up the snake initially, I thought it would die within a day or two or, by some miracle, its body would wall off the guts and they would die and fall off. Neither of these things have happened and the snake seems very alert and healthy with the exception of the wound. For a while, the guts turned black but since I put in a heat rock, they have returned to pink, living tissue. I have crickets and water in there but it is hard to tell if he is actually eating or drinking. I haven't seen him do either. He also does not appear to be defecating. Is there anything else I can do for him? Is there any chance he will survive? I can get a picture too if that would help. Thanks!

Re: Injured wild garter

A Vet is needed immediately. Garter don't eat crickets. Feeding might create problems until the injury is treated. Euthanasia may be a kindness in this situation. Best of luck and thank you for helping.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee