Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brumation

"Preparing For First shed"

Re: Brumation

I live in Tennessee, when should I start the brumation process with my Checkereds?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Start conditioning your animals now by feeding aggressively and varied diet. Give them as much food as they will take , especially the girls. Two to three weeks before you start decreasing the temps and light cycle stop feeding males and females altogether. This will give them a chance to evacuate any food in the digestive tract. Just provide them with clean drinking water. Probably around Dec. they should be ready to take the plunge into the hibernation enclosure. Good luck.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

all my adults are in the fridge.. i put them in 2 days ago. im shooting for march litters so ill have them for the show in april

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Nice, sounds good! I already have the 5 double het pied x albino ball python babies and if my pied x pied pairing is successful I will have some pied babies for a show in the future. Maybe havre de grace and the Hamburg shows for 2016. Lol just the pumpkin pieds. My albino pied project is a couple years away. That's going to be big!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"Preparing For First shed"

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Start conditioning your animals now by feeding aggressively and varied diet. Give them as much food as they will take , especially the girls. Two to three weeks before you start decreasing the temps and light cycle stop feeding males and females altogether. This will give them a chance to evacuate any food in the digestive tract. Just provide them with clean drinking water. Probably around Dec. they should be ready to take the plunge into the hibernation enclosure. Good luck.
    I actually started them on hairless hoppers last week, and they are taking them very enthusiastically. I tried to upload a video of my female eating her first one but had alot of trouble with it.

Never shed

I also bromate in a fridge. I just make sure to open the fridge every couple od days to get some fresh air in there. Some people do it in a fridge and keep the door cracked. First of all that means the fridge is running 24 hours which is not good for the electric bill. When they are in brumation they don't require that much air because there metabolism is very slow and I have never had a snake suffocate while in brumation. I make sure I open the door like twice a week and leave it open for a while to change out all the air.