Respiratory problems

Hi all,

A friend on the forum has been sending PMs back and forth with me about a snake in respiratory distress (symptoms below). There are no reptile vets even remotely nearby, so going to the vet is not an option. The nostrils appear to be plugged, which are symptoms, but not the cause. The snake is a male, so obviously much smaller than a female, meaning its nostrils are very small. However, I don't have any experience clearing snake nostrils.

THE SYMPTOMS:
    1. Snake emerged from brumation about 2-3 weeks ago with a small, horizontal, blackish "stain" on its mental scale (right below and in front of its mouth).
    ---- As far as I know, the snake doesn't have any other discolored scales anywhere else (That might suggest scale rot).
    2. Snake remains alert/active and had good appetite as recently as 1-2 days ago when eyes began to cloud.
    3. Snake is now preparing to shed (post-brumation timing seems appropriate).
    4. Snake has plugged nostrils.
    5. Snake opens mouth every time it breathes and has begun to have muscular contractions/muscular straining every time it exhales/inhales.

ONGOING TREATMENTS:
    1. Owner has recently (within 1-2 days) raised the temp in the enclosure to around 88-90F, day and night.
    2. Owner has been misting the enclosure to raise the humidity, but I'm not sure if he actually has a hygrometer to measure the humidity, which should be about 55-60%.
    3. Owner has cleaned the water dish with a bleach solution and is replacing the water at approx 2-day intervals.
    4. Owner has added an antibiotic (tetracycline, I believe) to the drinking water.
    5. Owner has occasionally soaked the snake in 1/2" of warm water, so that it doesn't have to swim around and challenge/strain it's already compromised respiratory system.
    6. Owner has tried wiping the nostrils clear from the outside.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
    1. To me, it sounds as if there is a respiratory infection due to: the open mouth breathing; the strained muscular action associated with breathing; the dried mucous plug in the nostrils.
    2. I don't think the plugged nostrils are solely due to potentially dry air in the enclosure because the owner has occasionally soaked the snake since emergence, and snakes are quite capable of breathing through their mouth without strained muscular action.

THE QUESTIONS:
    1. What else can he do to clear the nostrils?
    2. What other treatments can he do to help the snake?

Re: Respiratory problems

Without a vet, this description is problematic. However, misting may make a respiratory infection worse, and tetracycline is hardly the drug of choice IF the snake has pneumonia or other serious respiratory illness.

Of course my first suggestion is a vet. My second suggestion is to stop misting without knowing the relative humidity. A hygrometer is a relatively cheap purchase and is available at pet stores such as Petsmart. ... and my third suggestion would be a more broad spectrum/big gun antibiotic, since tetracycline has now developed MANY organisims that are resistant to that drug.

However, the snake should also be checked for mouth infection, due to the fact of that dark scale.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi - I'm new to the forum and found it because of this post. My garter snake has these same symptoms (including the dark spot). Additionally, he had pretty severe stomatitis and actually looked like his jaw was dislocated. I took him to the vet where they told me the prognosis was guarded at best. We gave him fluids, tube fed him, and started him on Ceftazadime 0.02 ml every 72 hours. (We will continue for a total of 10 doses.) I was instructed to keep him very warm and in a humid environment. The veterinarian told me that his problems far outweigh any risk that might be posed by heavy humidity. It's been about 2 weeks now and he is actually starting to flick his tongue again and is quite active. He's still doing some mouth breathing and staying in the head up posture - but he's actually starting to show interest in minnows again. I think his nares are still blocked and I have not yet figured out a good way to unblock them. The veterinarian did not have any good suggestions for that - except the increased humidity. I wouldn't say my snake is out of the woods yet, but he is significantly better than he was 2 weeks ago. At the recheck the veterinarian told me she was very surprised that he pulled through at all. She didn't think he would make it through the night. Anyway - I hope this helps and I hope your snake is feeling better.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

At the first sign of respiratory distress, I medicate using a bird antibiotic ornacycline which is made specifically for delicate creatures (birds and reptiles) who are expieriencing respiratory problems. I personally mix up the solution they recommend for larger birds ( 2 tablets or powder packers per 8 ounces o water) and I syringe a healthy amount into my snake to make sure that a good dose is administered. If you have the powder you may also want to consider sprinkling some into the hollowed out belly of a small guppy or minnow. It has worked for me but as was mentioned before, many bacteria have become resistant to tetracycline. The blackish stain you refer to is most likely not mouth rot as long as you don't see anything inside the mouth. It is most likely some built up phlegm or mucous that collected and dried. I saw this once on my checkered albino female. It usually washes away with a warm wet teabag. Of course, don't let the snake swallow any tea. I just like to use warm teabags for this and also on kittens with eye infections, (really helps LOL).

Of course, a vet is always best. But when you have 66 snakes and you catch a problem early, you learn that often it can be rid of before it gets worse before you are spending another $120 at the vet.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

as for clearing nostrils... I just gave the snake a warm soak twice every day until they cleared. I don't know any other methods of doing so.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Wow....not sounding good. It'll be interesting to see how the snake is after it's shed. The heavy breathing and clogged nostrils definitely sounds like a respitory infection....probably got it during brumation. The dark spot does sound like possibely some type of bacterial infection....maybe secondary to the respitory issue or may have also just come from the compromised immune system during brumation. I'd be worried that just letting the snake "self medicate" with tetracycline in the H2O may not be aggressive enough. I'd probably try an injectable med. like Batryl. I've had good luck treating other snakes with respitory problems with it. Not sure where you'd get it though with out a vet....mabye mail order. It does sound like the other things that are being done are good, but I'm worried it may be too little too late.
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

if the snake is about to shed, I'd maintain the high temps, wet-bag in a warm place twice a day for about half an hour and wait to see how the shedding affects the condition
    I am not sure what meds are available without a vet
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

I agree with all the advice given, without a vet its hard, as for the nostrils
    there really isn't anything to do other than the humidity, and maybe wetbag,but it doesn't look good, I'd say chances are 50/50 at best sorry.......
    Justin

Thanks to Zoe for making her first post in an attempt to help someone else and to Shannon for following up with more sage advise. Cheers,
    Rick