Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: large cut

Exclamation large cut

I'm new here! I've been lurking around for awhile, just reading threads. About two months ago, I was bringing my dog for a walk, at a cranberry bog, that is near my house. Their are garters EVERYWHERE. So I saw one, but it wasn't moving very fast, just sitting their. So I picked it up. It didn't musk on me or anything. I looked down at my hands, and they were covered in blood. Their was a gigantic cut on the garter snakes belly. I had to hold him together, or all of his guts would fall out. I then realized that they were starting to harvest the cranberries, so the used these big blade things to cut all the cranberries. Well anyways, I rushed him home, and wrapped gauze around him to hold him together. About a week later, the blood was dry, so I took off the gauze and just left him alone for awhile for him to recover. It is now a month and a half later, and it still looks the same. I afraid when he starts to shed, it will cause some serious problems. Can I do anything now, to help him heal any faster?

Re: large cut

Thanks for taking the time to help. For it to survive a month is a good sign I think.
    The shedding will be part of the healing process. Have you applied any antibiotic ointment? Any chance we can see some photos? Are you in Ohio?(trying to figure out what species you might be dealing with)

It sounds serious if any intestines or organs were damaged.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

With that kind of damage I'm surprised it's still alive. I have had real good luck with hydrogen peroxide and Original Neosporin (with out pain reliever). Use the peroxide until it no longer foams then neosporin till it heals over. Try to keep the wounded area pulled together.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

If the internal organs were actually exposed I seriously doubt he'd have made it two months with just gauze. Infection or blood-loss from the organ damage would have shown up by now... Did you actually see organs, or just kind of a bloody mess?
    It's impossible to tell without a picture, but my guess is that the cut looked that bad because it was being continually stressed since they use their belly scales to move and any attempt to move would have opened it further. And if it got muscle and not just skin, the wound would gape even further... Could be why it's still an open wound after so long as well. Just a thought.
    But send a picture before you put meds of any kind on it. If you're right and the cut did get into the body cavity, you could do more harm than good by putting anything (especially H2O2) on it.

If you put your hand near him, does he seem alert? Like, tongue flicking more rapidly in response to your hand being there? Wouldn't expect him to move much with an injury there.

Shedding sometimes requires your help when you're dealing with a large injury, but it's no big deal. Just keep an eye out, and help them get the shed past the injury when they start to shed.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Third shed, A Success" aquamentus_11's Avatar

Pics please
    Nate

1.0 Battlecat- Ted

It was really a big bloody mess, but I did see some organs (I think they were organs?). I will post a pic of what the cut looks like now. I was also VERY surprised that he survived. I will go take some pics now. He isn't moving around much. But I often see him out just looking at me. Now it is dry, so I don't have to hold it together, like I used to. I post some pics soon. I live in Massachusetts.

I would take a hands-off approach unless you are applying some meds. If it doesn't eat that is probably part of the healing process also.
    I think it's important we ID this snake. Any photos would be great.

Looks like you've got a couple garters in your State.

T.sirtalis sirtalis - Eastern Garter
    Thamnophis sauritus - Eastern Ribbon Snake
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Sorry... this first pic is blurry. I posted another one that looks just like him, but the pic is way better quality.IMG_1786.jpggarter_snake_1_MMarchand.jpg

Thanks.
    T.s. sirtalis
    - Eastern Garter
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!