Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Tang's in trouble

I picked Tang up to check on him and found him doing some kind of full body twitches. Followed by rolls and twists. He seems alert and there still is a lot of tongue flicking. He's not interested in eating. He seems to be hyper sensitive to touch. I tryed a luke warm bath and that sent him twisting. His eye are bright and he seems aware of what's going on. The injury area isn't warm or hot to the touch and there's no discharge or swelling. He appears normal except for the twitching. I'm not sure what's going on. He seem more relaxed in his enclosure so that's where I'll observe him from. I have no idea what's happening.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

Re: Tang's in trouble

Besides a vet (which imo may stress him too much) it may be best to just sit back and see what happens, it sucks to have to do it but it is sometimes best.

"Preparing For Second shed" Quibble's Avatar

Oh no I dont know what to suggest. I hope he doesnt get worse! Keep an eye on him and let us know!
    -Beth
    "Do not be angry, Do not worry, Be grateful, Work with diligence, Be kind to people." -Mikao Usui

take his encloser with him to the vet thats what id do
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Ohhh, that's a real shame man... that does not sound good Steve. to me, it sounds like he is dying. Every snake I have ever had that happened to has died. I just put one of my rubrilineatus babies down this morning, she was doing that. Convulsing, twitching uncontrollably, rolling around. Hypersensitivity all the way. I have tried to save them before but I always woke up the next morning to a dead snake

Hoping for a miracle for you!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Thanks for your thoughts, Shannon.
    I know what you mean but I see too many other signs that don't say death. I'm hoping and praying he'll make it through the night.

I just checked on Tang. He appeared to be resting without any twitching. As I lifted the screen off, the twitching started. I think as he tenses up he's in pain and relaxes only to react to me which causes this thing to start all over again. I put the lid back on and the twitching stopped. I think he's in pain everytime he moves. He's still alert and seems normal in every other way. I'll get a call to his Vet. tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

** Having read your last post, since it's really well correlated with stimulation, it does seem less likely to be systemic infection or the like. Hopefully your vet will be able to give him some sedatives or pain control that will help him through...

Oh no... I'm trying to think of something positive to say, or a positive spin, but... Your boy Tang had what looked like a localized issue, but these are signs of systemic disease. I can think of a handful of things that could cause twitching & convulsions - systemic infection, inflammation in the brain or spinal cord, kidney or liver failure (that one would be kinda weird). But the bottom line is that it's pretty much never a good thing.

Your vet would be able to give him a sedative which would provide temporary relief, and blood tests could help determine what's really going on. It might be treatable with strong antibiotics or anti-inflammatory drugs. Or... Well, it might not be.

I hope I'm wrong, and this is just some sort of seizure, and he'll snap out of it and be fine. If he's OK by tomorrow morning, then maybe you're in the clear. I do hope the little guy pulls through for you. That's *such* a great dorsal stripe...

Fingers crossed for the wee man.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Vet asap!!!!
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

He made it throught the night. No change. No twitching until he moves. Once again I think this twitch is just him constricting his muscles to move, he feels pain immediately and relaxes. When I held him last he just repeated this multiple times. The twist were thrown in probably because of the severe pain and a attempt to get out of my hands.

11am Vet. appointment.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!