Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Accidental Breeding -- Help!

Hi, I'm New Here! SnakesInCoconuts's Avatar

Re: Accidental Breeding -- Help!

I strongly suggest trying to find homes for the babies instead of euthanizing them. Use the best options first..
    kibakiba, EasternGirl and Peterra like this.

I don't think you need to worry about finding homes for them, IF you have live babies. Remember where you posted this.
    EasternGirl and Peterra like this.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

"Preparing For Second shed"

yes, It looks like if there are any young; and its unlikely there will be large numbers of them, that you will be able to find enough people here to foster them.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Intergrades happen in the wild between some species, it probably happens more often than most people think, however the ranges of T. s. concinnus and T. s. parietalis don't cross so you'd wouldn't find this cross in the wild. Hopefully the lockup was unsuccessful, there's a good chance with young snakes that haven't brumated that they won't have been successful (as Selkielass has already pointed out).

For balance, as most people so far would oppose euthanising the litter. I'd possibly keep one myself, and I'd consider giving one to someone I trusted. I would euthanise any that I couldn't house with people who knew what they were taking on and would promise to never breed it. However, it would only become a problem if it was a large litter but I would euthanise any I couldn't keep or cofidently home - garters are difficult enough to come by in the UK (especially concinnus) and the last thing we need are good bloodlines affected by intergrades when someone who doesn't really care about garters decides that breeding their intergrade is a good idea.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

This is such a difficult and touchy situation. I really hope no babies will be born and to be honest stillborns/slugs would be a blessing in this situation.
    Please don't take my comments wrong but being a purest this type of situation can be very detrimental to the hobby and the genetic future of both species. The situation is compounded by the fact those individual snakes are hard to obtain on that side of the world. To have hybrids mixed in would be terrible.
    Then there is the side of me that believes all life deserves a chance, even hybrids.
    I certainly don't envy your situation.
    Please weigh every aspect of this situation before making a decision with regards to any babies that are born.

You have separated the snakes, right?
    Selkielass and kibakiba like this.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

An idea came into my head the other day after discussing hybrids with a friend. Is there any way to castrate a snake? I know it's a pretty far fetched idea, but I'm sure it could be done.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    An idea came into my head the other day after discussing hybrids with a friend. Is there any way to castrate a snake? I know it's a pretty far fetched idea, but I'm sure it could be done.
    I'm sure you could pop out both hemipenes and cut both of them off. However, ethnically I'd have more problems with this than I would with accidental intergrades. In the same way that I find removing fangs or venom glands abhorrent. You don't surgically alter an animal to make it easier to keep, you keep the animal in an environment which suits it.
    thamneil and Peterra like this.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    I'm against that and circumcisions!

A difficult situation indeed. But as others have said...I do not agree with euthanizing the babies. You need to wait and see what happens...she could pass jellies, have several stillborns...or they all might be stillborn...you could end up with only a couple babies. My female eastern had a litter of 40 and only 3 made it. If it comes down to euthanizing them...I will take one. I will try to come up with the shipping fee as well. If I were you, I would make a list of people that have offered to take a baby...and should she have live young, contact us by PM when the babies are born. I wish you the best of luck.
    Peterra likes this.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

I, actually, would like to be able to neuter my companion snakes if it could be done safely and humanely as with dogs, cats.rabbits and other domestic companions. Every vet and local breeder I've talked to thought. I was crazy.
    (Local reptile people tell me breeders usually euthanize males with injured hemipenes for a long sad list of reasons.
    I have considered having Abby's ovaries removed- her round of jellies and asingle unexpected stillborn were very hard on her. She was passing jellies for over a week, and remained out of sorts and grimly for a month. She is still somewhat lethargic, and I believe that is partly due to the lack of stimulation from a companion.

There are health benefits to neutering mammals - reduced cancer for one. Nobody seems to know or be saying much about health benefits vs risks in reptiles. Id like to know more.

Pet ferrets must be neutered before they leave a licensed breeders hands (in Michigan) to prevent them from becoming an invasive species. With all the legislative concerns about reptiles and their invasive potential I believe that this is an option that urgently needs study.
    thamneil likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast