Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Accidental Breeding -- Help!

"First shed In Progress"

Re: Accidental Breeding -- Help!

l have bought gravid females W/C from importers that when they have given birth the said neonate were clearly intergades,l sold them as pets,no serious breeder of any species would want to breed from intergades,unless the species involved were in anyway restricted or endangered,there is no issue,if the species are commonly obtainable then any resulting intergades can and do go to the pet trade with no harm done.

"First shed In Progress"

l do have issues with people who seem to see euthaniz as a means of (damage control/containment)that is a very big genie out of the bottle,and once out where do you stop?

Wow...this thread took an interesting turn in a relatively short period of time! Just to put my opinions on record...I think euthanizing animals that are not sick or suffering is "playing God" and I for one, do not want that on my conscience...and I think it is cruel. Dogs and cats need to be neutered to prevent cancers if they are not going to breed. If you have ever watched a dog die of cancer because he wasn't neutered...well, I have and it was awful. Also, for male dogs it can be necessary in terms of quelling agression. We haven't neutered my chihuahua yet and he is becoming more and more aggressive and humping and peeing on everything in sight. However, I have read that neutering smaller animals...like rodents, for example...can be extremely tricky and dangerous. At the least, you have to have an exotic vet with experience in neutering that type of animal. In guinea pigs alone...the death rate post-neutering is very high...so I imagine it would be pretty unsafe for a small snake. That is my two cents.
    kibakiba, MCwyo and Peterra like this.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"Preparing For Second shed"

For me the issue is very simple. I view life as an incredibly sacred gift. I see an animals life as being just as precious to it as mine is to me. They after all only have the one also. Killing an healthy animal simply for my convenience in not having to house it is not something I could accept doing. I know others who do not share this view. I separated my parakeets years ago into one per cage after several unwanted clutches. (I ended up with 32 parakeets and it took me ages to find them good homes) separating animals to avoid unwanted young is always preferable to killing the young in my opinion. Finding homes is always preferable to killing the young. If one simply can not resist killing them, I always vote for painless and quick.

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevenrudge View Post
    l do have issues with people who seem to see euthaniz as a means of (damage control/containment)that is a very big genie out of the bottle,and once out where do you stop?
    Yeah and I have issues with people that import animals and breed them for profit to supply the "pet trade". The genie has been out of the bottle in the US for a very very long time, reptiles or otherwise. Do not sit there and presume to judge me, I have never EVER bred an animal for any reason, not even when I had dogs with AKC Championship titles, I have never had any "accidentally" pregnant animals before either. I do not breed because I know how most pets end up.
    Peterra likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    Which is why she could send them to responsible and smart people. People who wouldn't allow them to breed at all.
    And suppose those people don't want them? Or find themselves in a situation where they have to give up their snakes? Or you misjudge those smart, responsible people and they turn out to be dumb and irresponsible? Or suppose the hybrids escape? I think it's time for a hybrid non-proliferation treaty.

But there is no reason, imo, to just murder baby snakes when it isn't their fault for being born.
    I think the reasons are good enough and not one of them happens to be "Because they were born".

Why not kill the parents of the babies while your at it, stop it from happening once and for all.
    Because it doesn't make any sense at all.

Guess what I have issues with.

clearly intergades,l sold them
    infernalis and Light of Dae like this.

"First shed In Progress"

Yes l sold them to responsible people who wanted them as nice pet snakes,nothing more and your problem is?

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kerensa View Post
    For me the issue is very simple. I view life as an incredibly sacred gift. I see an animals life as being just as precious to it as mine is to me. They after all only have the one also. Killing an healthy animal simply for my convenience in not having to house it is not something I could accept doing. I know others who do not share this view. I separated my parakeets years ago into one per cage after several unwanted clutches. (I ended up with 32 parakeets and it took me ages to find them good homes) separating animals to avoid unwanted young is always preferable to killing the young in my opinion. Finding homes is always preferable to killing the young. If one simply can not resist killing them, I always vote for painless and quick.
    So now I am the heartless baby animal killer. I have spent my entire adult life with multiple animals, I have done rescue for years, I have sacrificed greatly to help stray dogs that decided to come to my doorstep pregnant and desperate, and I did right by them and their puppies, despite the stress and expense.

For those that get on their high horse and judge, how many animals have you bred and sold? Do you actually know how they all ended up? Or is that NOT your problem? You sold them to "good homes or collectors" and that is all that matters, right? Yeah, sure it is. When you sold them it seemed like a great idea, who cares what happened afterwards.

"Preparing For Second shed"

I do not presume to judge you, I am sorry you have chosen not to extend me the same. I clearly stated that my views were "for me". It was in fact the first thing I said. Since you have decided to become unpleasant and jump to conclusions for your own reason, you can continue this discussion with yourself. I simply will not continue it. I have no need for additional sources of confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    So now I am the heartless baby animal killer. I have spent my entire adult life with multiple animals, I have done rescue for years, I have sacrificed greatly to help stray dogs that decided to come to my doorstep pregnant and desperate, and I did right by them and their puppies, despite the stress and expense.

For those that get on their high horse and judge, how many animals have you bred and sold? Do you actually know how they all ended up? Or is that NOT your problem? You sold them to "good homes or collectors" and that is all that matters, right? Yeah, sure it is. When you sold them it seemed like a great idea, who cares what happened afterwards.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast