Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doubts

doubts

hi, I'm new and I do not speak English (I'm Italian) so sorry for grammar mistakes! ahaha lol, still a baby can stay in a terrarium of 18 * 18 inches? I wanted to take a thamnophis sirtalis infernalis, then I'd give fish (Poecilia reticulata alive) twice a week and once a week a mouse? as a commercial heating use (lamp) 30-40 watts .. the terrarium will be furnished with bark and trunks and a tank of water

Re: doubts

That size would be fine for a newborn or very young garter but more space would be needed soon. Garters love to explore their enclosures and the more room they get the less stress they have. Plenty of water is important for swimming and soaking(and going to the bath room) but be sure the substrate stays dry. I personally use light for light. I heat with under tank heaters on a thermostat to control the heat.
    I personally think under tank heaters are best especially if you have a snake that is shy. Some snakes won't come out to warm up if it means they expose themselves. Offering a few different hide, one being heated allows them to move from hide to hide to thermoregulate.

Poecilia reticulata - Guppy is a very good choice. I would suggest a more rodent diet using fish and lob worm as variety. Variety is best, this way they get the best nutrition from each food source.

Your English is fine.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

ok thank you very much even if my English is bad! ahhaah as an adult, however, for I will give you a space of 70 * 50 * 40 cm .. thank you very much and I apologize if I'm wrong section in the coming weeks! sorry

ps: thanks for the kindness

Your post had multiple question so the section your were in is fine.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I agree with Steve's responses.
    I would also add, that there should be no need to feed the fish live. Get your snake out of the habit of eating live asap. Frozen food is a lower risk of parasites than live. See if you can get frozen smelt (Osmerus eperlanus), it should be available from aquatic shops as food for predatory fish or online.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Subadult snake

Guppies are readily captive bred and pose a very low parasitic risk. I breed them for my frogs.

I'm okay with either method of heating as the temperatures are what matter's most. However in my experience, basking and sunlight are an important part of a gartersnake's lifestyle. I would use overhead heat (or a combination with UTH) and have full spectrum light, ideally with a high colour index and including UVB.

Ian

thank you all! then for sunbathing intend to put them out in the open? in a terrarium in the netting? then I alleverņ my guppies! I can give the toads (Bufo bufo)? thank you

Wild caught toads usually carry a high parasite load.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

ah right, well it was written on care sheet. thank you very much! when they will buy the serpent put two photos
    1. P. guttatus,G. gecko, P.vitticeps C.ciliatus .It is a real honor to chat with English I'm Italian, so excuse me for grammatical errors. sorry

They are on the care sheet but clearly not a good food choice. I did have trouble with part of your last sentence "when they will buy the serpent put two photos" Could you try again? Thanks.

Amphibians - Generally, Amphibians are not a good idea because they usually must be wild caught. Taking large numbers of wild animals as food for your snakes is ethically not a good choice as it could have a negative impact on the ecosystem. There are many better options out there. Wild amphibians may also be harboring dangerous parasites.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!