"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

2013 finds and fun stories

Wow, what a morning!
    Cleaned tanks and changed water dishes this morning, then went for a walk along the usual old rail line.
    LOTS of snakes moving-5 which is the most I've ever encountered at one time in this area.
    Two were the same snakes I saw last week.
    Pics from last week;

Eastern male. Very muddy looking but healthy. He or his twin was by the same hole today.

Juvenile male t. Butlerii. He was a little sluggish last week, but was moving well enough to take cover when I returned him to his sunning spot.
    He was in the exact same spot this week, but not doing so well. I thought he was dead, he was so limp, and it was only when I picked him up that I got some movement and tongue flicking out if him. I brought him home and he'd in the quarantine cage. Something just doesn't look and feel right about his tail end. He may have internal injuries, time and quiet will tell if he has the strength to recover.

Interesting herping tip; having the scent of a healthy female on your hands will bring the males right into your hands! Both Eastern males were more interested in the scent of Abby on my hands than in running. Muddy, pictured above, actually approached my extended hand, younger flicking rapidly, and allowed me to rub his chin as he inspected my hand.
    So much fun!

Everyone feel free to post your finds and fun here if you wish.

Re: 2013 finds and fun stories

Today I went outside for a bit to get some supplies out of the car, and all of a sudden it hit me! It's not cold today! I plan to go look for garters sometime in early April! Glad to hear that your herping is going good!
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Re: 2013 finds and fun stories

Great report.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee