Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake Trap

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Re: Snake Trap

Nothing yet. I did scent the funnel with worms, and I put a few drops of crappy bait scent in the worm dirt, just to kick the smell up a bit.

As for whether it would work, I did put my own snakes in it, while I was replacing the substrate in their regular enclosure, and while they loved climbing on top of the funnel to try to escape, it didn't seem to occur to them to climb through the funnel. But then again, that's not the way they entered, so that's no guarantee that one entering the trap won't find it's way back out.

I've given some thought to trying to create some sort of catch to the funnel, so that once a snake climbs in, its way out is blocked. The top of a bottle cap and a tiny hinge might do the trick, but I'm not really up to any more construction today. I'm still feeling a little ill from yesterday. Besides, I'm willing to bet the hardware store is closed.

like a minnow trap great idea
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

LOOK WHAT I CAUGHT!!

The perspective on the bottle makes the snake appear smaller than it actually is.

The trap is a success. Sort of.

Okay, I exaggerated. Although I got this booger into the trap, he didn't actually go there on his own. I was out of nightcrawlers. I was actually going to measure the bolts on the trap for another project, when I saw this guy over by it. I put the trap in front of him, and used my hands to coax him into it. But once inside, he didn't seem to see the opening; but then again, he was in something of a panic, trying to get away from me. I borrowed a thatch-roof cottage for him, to keep him calm. But he's in the enclosure with the other two, awaiting transport to the woods (assuming I don't go ahead and build another enclosure for him).

So even if a snake doesn't wander into the trap looking for food, at least I can say it's a good way to safely catch the snakes without harming them.

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    LOOK WHAT I CAUGHT!!

The perspective on the bottle makes the snake appear smaller than it actually is.

The trap is a success. Sort of.

Okay, I exaggerated. Although I got this booger into the trap, he didn't actually go there on his own. I was out of nightcrawlers. I was actually going to measure the bolts on the trap for another project, when I saw this guy over by it. I put the trap in front of him, and used my hands to coax him into it. But once inside, he didn't seem to see the opening; but then again, he was in something of a panic, trying to get away from me. I borrowed a thatch-roof cottage for him, to keep him calm. But he's in the enclosure with the other two, awaiting transport to the woods (assuming I don't go ahead and build another enclosure for him).

So even if a snake doesn't wander into the trap looking for food, at least I can say it's a good way to safely catch the snakes without harming them.
    great job i am impressed
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Banned

I don't think you're going to get any garter to go in there on it's own, with or without worms. Wanna know the best garter snake trap I ever used? a friggen sheet of plywood. Doesn't exactly trap them, but a few boards placed in the right location can yield several garters daily.

Never shed

Interesting snake, how common are garters who don't have dorsal stripes? I recently found a garter without a dorsal stripe too, first one I'd seen.

I would suggest you make the entrance to the trap to be as close to ground level as possible, my guess is that few garters will be willing to climb up into the entrance and a baby garter probably wouldn't be able to climb into it.

Banned

Quite a few eastern garters have no stripes or only a hint of one. T. ordinoides in the pacific NW sometimes have no stripes. Garters with no stripes are not all that uncommon.

I still say sheets of plywood are the best garter "trap" there is. Placed some out in a T. ordinoides area a couple of weeks ago. Even on days when the snakes are not active, you can find plenty of them hiding under the plywood.

In oregon where is a good place to put piece's of wood?

Banned

Actually flickerfriend, now's not the time for that. please stay in touch with me, and I'm staying in touch with your mother.

This is a bad time of year. Things are drying out and even in spots that are teeming with snakes from April-July are not even worth visiting now. Where I could find dozens of garters a month or two ago will yield nothing now.

I'd love to take your family (whomever can come) for an adventure of "garterific" proportions and show you numerous garters and huge one's, in abundance, even blue one's like my avatar! but it will have to wait until April-July of 2011. Simple fact of nature. It's just too late in the year now.

PM me and we'll stay in touch by email. I have your mom's cell number. I'll call soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Actually flickerfriend, now's not the time for that. please stay in touch with me, and I'm staying in touch with your mother.

This is a bad time of year. Things are drying out and even in spots that are teeming with snakes from April-July are not even worth visiting now. Where I could find dozens of garters a month or two ago will yield nothing now.

I'd love to take your family (whomever can come) for an adventure of "garterific" proportions and show you numerous garters and huge one's, in abundance, even blue one's like my avatar! but it will have to wait until April-July of 2011. Simple fact of nature. It's just too late in the year now.

PM me and we'll stay in touch by email. I have your mom's cell number. I'll call soon.
    I know what you mean, my best herping spots are "all out" I'm afraid
    Nolan
    0.4.T.sirtalis.sirtalis(cb)
    0.1.T.sirtalis.sirtalis(wc)
    Wants:Any Color Morph of the Thamnophis s.s.,And maybe a Radix