Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: My First Snake Tank: Opinions?

Looks good. Lots of place to explore and climb.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

very nice! she looks happy!
    mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico View Post
    Some thing I am puzzled with, not only observing your tank, but also other pictured ones.
    What I see is a glass container, with a missing top, I presume to be covered with mesh screen or other tops, but what I do not see are the customary (at least customary in the tanks I have seen in Italy) vents, traditionally one high up, and the opposite, down at substrate level.
    These vents, I have been told, ensure ventilation and the necessary change of air/oxigen.....

Are they there and the pictures do not show them?
    I use glass tanks with screen tops. If the tank is rectangular in shape (longer the better) and you use a heat source only at one far end, you get proper air circulation. Warm air rises from one end, fresh air sinks in on the other end.

I wouldn't use that paper or whatever that is. Snakes tend to get pinned under it. Never place objects such as hides on top of anything. Place them directly on the bare bottom, then add substrate. I see you have objects on top of he substrate. I wouldn't do that. It's dangerous. Snakes can burrow under it and cause it to shift on top of them. Be careful if you use a hot bulb from above. Don't put plants under it. Just getting them hot can cause toxic emissions to come from the plastic.

Subadult snake InsanePirateDragon's Avatar

Quick question, is there a way to anchor the fauliage (faux foliage) down to the bottom of the tank. I'm having trouble with the tall grass one in the corner to stop falling over, I have it pinned with one of the man made limbs to keep it from shifting until I figure out something that I can have no trouble taking out so I when I tank clean.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsanePirateDragon View Post
    Quick question, is there a way to anchor the fauliage (faux foliage) down to the bottom of the tank. I'm having trouble with the tall grass one in the corner to stop falling over, I have it pinned with one of the man made limbs to keep it from shifting until I figure out something that I can have no trouble taking out so I when I tank clean.
    If you want to still be able to remove it securing it gets tricky, I think most temp or semi-perm fixing methods (tape, sticky pads) are things you don't want to have near your snakes.
    One method that is safe and will work is to hot-glue it to a piece of slate. That gives the object a wider base which you can put substrate over.
    Another method I use for some of my plants is to run a piece of string from a point on the plant to an anchor point outside the viv, but our ExoTerra vivs have removable tops and front opening doors, so once I've secured the string the top doesn't need to be removed.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Will a hot glue gun work for what you want done?
    That glue dries solid and doesn't create a hazard.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Now the hot gluing sounds like it would work and I have plenty of that floating around. I'm just worried about them possibly pinning her somewhere with all the climbing she's been doing since they've been in the tank.

Whats a good enclosure size for and adult female or two? (incase I do get a roommate for Marley, wondering if it would hurt or not) I'm starting to browse and search for a new one before I need a new one so I can have my quarantine tank back. I have some shelving and everything to set tanks so its just finding the right size. It would be nice to have something with doors on the front I think but I'm not sure where to find any of those.
    2.0.0 T. s. parietalis (Marley and Sully)
    One Ornate Box Turtle
    And one grumpy bitey Leopard Gecko

I have two adults in a 30 gallon (a tall not a long) but they are also comfortable in a 20 gallon long. A 20 gallon long is plenty big enough for a adult female...although Cee Cee also likes her 30 gallon...she has done fine in both. She is a big girl...3 feet long. Of course the more room you can give them the better, but plenty of people house more than one snake in 20 gallon long tanks. Cee Cee's 30 gallon has sliding doors on the front...I got it at Petsmart...but I wouldn't recommend it...I had to do a lot of rigging on it because it was not made for small snakes and had lots of gaps and spaces a garter could get out of. Maybe another member could recommend a place to find an enclosure with doors on the front.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Nice vivs -
    Amazon.com: Exo Terra Glass Terrarium, 36 by 18 by 24-Inch: Pet Supplies
    If you can find them for a good price.

We have three 2 foot and a 3 foot. So far there's nothing that would stop me getting another apart from the cost and the fear that I'd drop it while moving it.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia