Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Never shed

Re: Can't swallow - please help

I'm sorry, I should have given a better explanation. I seem to be doing a terrible job of explaining my situation.

She will not go for something that is not alive. I have tried some of the techniques in this forum of making her think the food is alive, but she is not fooled. But it doesn't matter right now because she can't swallow.

Banned

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm afraid there's nothing more I can say to help.

Don't be discouraged. I don't know a single experienced member among us that hasn't gone through something similar. I don't know a single experienced member who hasn't lost a snake or watched one deteriorate and die. We carry on. we get new garters, we learn, we love them. The good experiences far outweigh the bad.

I sure hope it's something treatable
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Nothing wrong with worms, I have a couple fussy easterns that don't care for much else, and they do fine.

Never shed

Thanks Rhea, I hope so too.

I know everyone thinks their garters are special but Lucy is different. I had a several garters in the 80's and 90's, but not one like this. Everyone, even my vet, is amazed at how affectionate and unafraid she is of people (she likes to be held). She hasn't pooped on me, not even in the beginning (and no, I don't have a problem with a snake pooping on me but it's something that I didn't experience with my other snakes...and yes, I'm sure if she ate and I held her in my lap constantly for a few days she would HAVE to poop on me).

Thanks to all of you who have given me words of support. I hope this is only temporary.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Wish I had more advice to offer you. It sounds like you're doing everything possible for Lucy. The only thing I can think of is to up the temps a bit (up to 88-90) between now and the vet visit. It's not a cure all, but may help her if she's fighting an infection. Then again, if she's dehydrated it's not so good, so use your best judgment. Good luck and please let us know how the vet visit goes...
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.