Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Re: Thanks for nothing (or: new snake had mites)

Agreed! If you can find this in the uk it would be best. Garter snakes are a little more sensitive to chemicals! Make sure to read instructions on the provent a mite and let it dry in the cage before putting the snake back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    i would strongly recommend the provent a mite. It is specifically designed for reptile.

pro-products | provent-a-mite
    Bluesirtalis

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Agreed! If you can find this in the uk it would be best. Garter snakes are a little more sensitive to chemicals! Make sure to read instructions on the provent a mite and let it dry in the cage before putting the snake back in.
    I don't think it's available over here.

We had a thread awhile asking about the availability of Provent-A-Mite in the U.K. Here's a link to the thread. The quotes are from that thread.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/urge...fo-needed.html

http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59

I received a call back(message left) from the makers of Provent-A-Mite. They informed me that they do ship to the U.K. and have many customers their.
    I will call them back during business hours to get the particulars.
    I just spoke to Bob at Provent-A-Mite. He stated that shipping(to U.K.) cost for 1 can is $15 and $20 for two cans. It can be purchased on the website. An email will be sent to the buyer to explain the exact shipping cost. Bob also welcomed any questions from members, simply email him from the Provent-A-Mite website.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Well despite ordering the mite treatment,i came home this afternoon to find my snake dead. Im gutted to say the least,i called the shop to ask advice they just said it must be something ive done... So please do fire away at me as to what ive done wrong as i don't want this happening again.

Hot end was 26.0 ambient (after ide put a towel on top to stop heat escaping)
    Cool end was 19.0 ambient
    Had a basking spot which i still need to check when i find my IR gun from keeping monitors.

Please ask away,as ide like to not have another Die in my care.

Thanks Tim

First and last I doubt it was something you did. The snake came to you sick and infested with mites. Demand a refund in no uncertain terms.
    It's ridiculous they are blaming you. Give me there # and I'll give them a piece of my mind. %$^&*( .
    After you get your refund of course. I was looking up some good British insults to call them but decided to not post them.

Sorry for your loss.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

Thanks Steve. Need to find a reputable breeder here in the uk. I doubt ill trust another shop again.

Don't be discouraged on shops, ask the U.K. members what shops they would recommend or buy from forum members.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Sorry to hear that. It's absolutely typical that the shop is trying to push the blame on you. It sounds like the shop has no quaranteen procedure. I'd say it's a case of WC snake full of any number of problems that the shop didn't care about (cheap with good mark up 'disposable' sale).
    My stance on shops is well known :P ... I can count the number of shops that I trust on one finger as it stands
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Channa, I'm sorry you received a snake with mites.

This thread has been very interesting, now I know from whom I'll never purchase a reptile from.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Im so sorry for your loss.
    From what I've read you did nothing wrong. You took in an animal with some severe set backs (to put it mildly) and it just didn't have the reserves to overcome with your help.

Definitely fight for a refund.
    In the future never buy a snake at a store or show where they won't, when you are ready to put money on the table, closely examine the animal. Saving the animal from stress by rookie-loos is great, but serious buyers have every right to 'look that horse in the mouth'.

I carry my own fabric pouch when I may be buying, ask about the history of the animal and its parents, and bring it home tucked safely inside my shirt with no bedding or packaging.
    Once home they get a bath in Jurassi-mite and then go into quarantine. The pouch gets a hot laundering before returning to my jacket pocket.

Wild caughts and rescues get the same clean up, then first aide and quarantine.