Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Garters

"Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

Age of Garters

I was lead to believe from all the info out there that corn snakes live around 20 years. Now from my visit with my new, wonderful herp vet, he said that corns can live up to 30! You mean my snake can live as long as my horse? COOL!

What about garters? I've been told they live 15 years. Is this wrong? Who has a really long lived garter out there and does anyone know the record???

Also, is there any way to tell a snake's age??? I bought Draco as an adult. I believe him to be a young snake but I really don't know. ( I guess you can't read their teeth like horses! ) Do their scales have rings???? ( I expect snickers to this last one guys! )

Devon
    Tools are weapons. Weapons are tools. Both are dangerous in the hands of fools.

Re: Age of Garters

as far as I know there's no method to ascertain their age - just guesswork
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Unless you have the d.o.b it will just be guesswork I'm afraid. My first two ribbons lived for 10years and were a few months old when I got them.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Like Greg said. It's just a guessing game without a DOB. Then you compound the issue if it's a wild caught snake.
    The wild is much harder on them than the good life. I used to try and judge age by size but that just doesn't work on wild caught snakes.
    They grow so much slower in the wild, in my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    They grow so much slower in the wild, in my opinion.
    Sometimes yes sometimes no Steve, In the wild it's all about survival of the fittest, get as big as you can by winter....

So many wild babies will power feed in an attempt to put on as much size as they possibly can by winter.

Some of us, (myself included) pace the feeding a bit since I never brumate babies.

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Sometimes yes sometimes no Steve, In the wild it's all about survival of the fittest, get as big as you can by winter....

So many wild babies will power feed in an attempt to put on as much size as they possibly can by winter.

Some of us, (myself included) pace the feeding a bit since I never brumate babies.
    I should have clarified my statement. What I ment was that a smaller adult in the wild may be much older than a much larger size captive breed snake. A few of my wild caught radixes that have died from what appears to be old age were always smaller than many of the captive bred snakes I have.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

I'm curious about this as well. I'm fairly certain Sly is approaching 9 years old (wild caught in March of 2002 as a little guy, but likely not a neonate). Hoping for a nice looooong lifespan
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

I had a wandering that was a large adult when she was caught and had her for 9 years.

"Preparing For Second shed" Snakeknot's Avatar

I am AMAZED by the size of most captive bred garters I've been seeing. I'm used to seeing garters one size in the wild then I see pictures of people with their captive bred garters and they look HUGE! Much bigger than I expected a garter to ever get. I guess some of the captive breds really like their mom and dad's "cooking"!

Devon
    Tools are weapons. Weapons are tools. Both are dangerous in the hands of fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeknot View Post
    I am AMAZED by the size of most captive bred garters I've been seeing. I'm used to seeing garters one size in the wild then I see pictures of people with their captive bred garters and they look HUGE! Much bigger than I expected a garter to ever get. I guess some of the captive breds really like their mom and dad's "cooking"!

Devon
    It's the good life for them. Optimum heat, shelter, water, food, health care and bodyguards.
    All they have to do is sit back and grow.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!