Temperament of wildcaught individuals as opposed to captive bred ones?

I'm just wondering what everybody's experience is when it comes to the temperament of wildcaught specimens versus ones bred and raised in captivity. Does it differ at all?

"Preparing For First shed"

Re: Temperament of wildcaught individuals as opposed to captive bred ones?

I have never seen a captive bred garter myself. I have caught wild plains garter snakes that were suprisingly calm from the getgo! Others put up a nasty fight.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skulexander View Post
    I'm just wondering what everybody's experience is when it comes to the temperament of wildcaught specimens versus ones bred and raised in captivity. Does it differ at all?
    I think it does differ in the majority scheme of things. Wild caught garters are more apt to be on guard bc of the predation factor and generally ready to defend themselves either by musking, biting, or both. It just seems they have to be ready for fight or flight at a seconds notice. Captive garters have no predators even though they look at the keeper as a threat initially, they are more inclined to calm down over their wild counterparts. Also you have to take into account they are individuals with their own personalities. Certain captive species do behave differently than others as well, and are more inclined to display a defensive attitude in the terrarium. As babies, being raised in captivity I feel will increase the chances of the individual animal growing into a more tolerant state of mind. Just remember, these are captive animals with wild instincts at all times.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

I got bit by a male wild garter today for the first time --- the other two garter females I came across recently were quite different, one was as friendly as a puppy and the other one was super shy.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterra View Post
    I got bit by a male wild garter today for the first time --- the other two garter females I came across recently were quite different, one was as friendly as a puppy and the other one was super shy.
    Typical male garter move. All they want is females and food, in that order.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Typical male garter move. All they want is females and food, in that order.
    Now that is so funny Steve but i have to agree..
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

My Cuddles is captive born, though his mother was caught wild when she was pregnant with him. He is relatively calm once you get him out, but he can be a bit of a bratty teenager sometimes. The wild ones that I catch around here (in the backyard - mostly very young or male) are skittish. The one female I am certain of was quick to run away from me, so I have no idea how she may have reacted, but I have found that they are generally a little quicker to settle down and stop fighting (and even remain calm enough for pictures!). My little wild-caught baby is spooked very easily and extremely skittish. He tried to bite my husband, even though he's too small to do so. The only thing he hasn't done is musk me, which is something my captive-born doesn't mind doing to remind me who's really in charge
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

Cool. Thanks for the input, guys. Sorry for such a late response. I truthfully just completely forgot about this thread. Lol