Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Hello Again. Possible RI?

Her hot side is at 32c. Is that hot enough? Her humidity thint should arrive on Monday.

I will do! Thank you, both of you. You've really calmed me down. I can't believe I was seeing normal behaviour as abnormal. You've been a great help.

It's good to be alert, seeing/noticing changes is an important part of keeping healthy garters.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kadabasaur View Post
    Her hot side is at 32c. Is that hot enough? Her humidity thint should arrive on Monday.

I will do! Thank you, both of you. You've really calmed me down. I can't believe I was seeing normal behaviour as abnormal. You've been a great help.
    Yes 32c is fine. Glad to help out. Did the vet suggest any other test to be done?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

She said to wait and see if she gets better within 2-3 weeks, if not then she said she'd do an xray.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadabasaur View Post
    She said to wait and see if she gets better within 2-3 weeks, if not then she said she'd do an xray.
    Sounds good! I would ask, maybe with a phone call, if the vet thinks a culture and sensitivity test might be warranted. Hopefully she will get better and not need it.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey guys, just wanted to a quick update on Pandora.

Feeding isnt going so well. Ive tried with the tiniest bits of fish/pinkie parts. She's extremely hungry but as soon as she puts it in her mouth she spits it back up. She also does this weird thing where she puts her mouth against the bottom of the viv and dances about? Will try again in 3 days.

Breathing noises were completely gone, and now they've just came back tonight. Not with every breathe but they seem to sound louder.

I took leaves out of her enclosure so shes just got her 2 hides and her water bowl.

Should I leave it another week before getting the vet involved again?

I also phoned the vet - she said it wouldn't be necessary due to the antibiotics she's on?

Subadult snake

A culture and sensitivity sample should be collected prior to antibiotics. Since she has been on ceftaz for a while it's probably not the first thing the vet wants to do. It sounds like she wants to explore pneumonia or the presence of abscesses or foreign bodies first (with the radiograph, though I think CT would be better). There are increasing accounts of ceftazidime resistant bacteria and at some point a culture and sensitivity may have to be done, most certainly if there is no indication for the snake to not be getting better. If I recall correctly, the last culture and sensitivity I did grew a bacteria that was resistant to all but 1 or 2 tested antibiotics (we usually test 8-10). It is a serious problem.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello! I'm back again and I'm happy to report Pandora is completely back to herself, apart from being thirsty!

She's been climbing, noseying about her cage like she used to and I've just managed to feed her 15 full fishes!

No more tired snake, and weird breathing noises either.

I am so happy, and thank you for all the help. Looks like I just needed to wait for her to respond to the antibiotics

included photos of the happy lil noodle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Subadult snake

That's great to hear. Reptiles heal slowly. Make sure you finish the antibiotic prescription so that the infection is less likely to come back.

That's great Kad! Hoping that she remains healthy. I hope those were f/t pieces of fish and not live. 15 live fish is more than enough.