Thread: Snake room

Hi, I'm New Here!

Snake room

I am starting to plan my dream snake room and was wondering if keeping all my snakes in bioactive setup would be appropriate, all of my snake will be us native and I don’t plan on breeding right away. All will be in display tanks with a massive bull snake viv as my showpiece. Most of the other snakes will be smaller like hog noses, milk snakes, garters and rosy boas. None of them will be morphs I personally don’t like morphs unless it’s melonistic, so my question is would plywood or glass aquariums be better and top opening or front opening enclosures. Last is it beneficial to breed feeders like mice and toad (for eastern hognoses)?

Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Snake room

Would it be smart to get a couple mounting geckos and breed those to feed the young hognoses?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9darlingcalvi View Post
    I am starting to plan my dream snake room and was wondering if keeping all my snakes in bioactive setup would be appropriate, all of my snake will be us native and I don’t plan on breeding right away. All will be in display tanks with a massive bull snake viv as my showpiece. Most of the other snakes will be smaller like hog noses, milk snakes, garters and rosy boas. None of them will be morphs I personally don’t like morphs unless it’s melonistic, so my question is would plywood or glass aquariums be better and top opening or front opening enclosures. Last is it beneficial to breed feeders like mice and toad (for eastern hognoses)?
    Welcome to the forum. Melamine seems to be the standard for enclosures over most all other materials. You have to consider the water based paint and waterproof wood sealer to best complete the look. Also, you will have to pay close attention to the floor of the enclosure as this will be where most of the waterproofing and sealing will be very important. Sometimes the more drying allowed along with the added coats of waterproofing will be beneficial. Silicone for your panel crevices is a consideration as well. I think your access points for top or front should be your own preference. As far as the breeders, it's always helpful but maybe not practical or convenient for live breeding of feeders. The toads will be much more difficult than the mice in my opinion. Much easier to keep a couple of anoles frozen along with frog legs that are easier to obtain and keep for the picky hognose. Remember, you don't want them fixated on live toads bc then it's very hard to get them off. By scenting, you can gradually wean them off until they are taking mice exclusively.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-31-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Additional information.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9darlingcalvi View Post
    Would it be smart to get a couple mounting geckos and breed those to feed the young hognoses?
    I would start out offering mice and if i encounter picky feeders then start with a scenting of the food offered and see how that goes.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I have read, probably on this forum, that a front loading enclosure may make for tamer and more handleable snakes, as an approach from above may signify a predator.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, I think I’ll go away from breeding and will just keep the animals as a hobby not breeding . My list would be
    Rubber boa
    Rosy boa
    Gray-banded Kingsnake
    Eastern kingsnake
    Western hognose
    Eastern hognose
    Plains hognose
    Night snake
    Coachwhip
    North watersnake
    Banded watersnake
    Gopher snake
    Pink snake
    Dekay’s brown snake
    Red-bellied snake
    Northwestern garter
    Checkered garter
    Blacknecked garter
    Plains garter
    Eastern garter
    Red-sided garter
    Common garter
    Lyre snake
    Rough Green snake
    (MAYBE Pigmy rattler) *way later in the hobby, last thing I would get*
    -Non-snakes-
    Great plains skink
    Eastern collared lizard
    Banded gecko
    Smooth soft shell turtle
    Gray tree frog
    Boreal chorus frog
    Pacific chorus frog
    American bullfrog
    Oak toad
    American toad
    Pacific giant salamander
    Tiger salamander
    Red-backed salamander

Hi, I'm New Here!

I am starting to fill a notebook of every enclocure sketch, I have decided to have open swinging doors to place window vents on the backs/side of the vivarium for air flow. Would you guys like to see weekly to bi-weekly posts about the setup and all the specs?

Hi, I'm New Here!

Yes I would, I'm beginning to collect ideas for my eventual ultimate set up as well.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, I have made the two boa species that I will be keeping (rosy and rubber), I will give all of my animals uvb even if they don’t need it all of the animals would revive uvb somehow in nature