Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "First shed, A Success"

Re: Rant: Light fixtures

I had to google that. I don't think I've seen them for sale in my local pet stores, including the big box chain stores. I have a Current Marine LED for a shallow reef tank, and find it to be a great fixture. I used it for a planted freshwater tank at first, and it worked well then, too.

Never shed

Re: Rant: Light fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by MNGuy View Post
    I had to google that. I don't think I've seen them for sale in my local pet stores, including the big box chain stores. I have a Current Marine LED for a shallow reef tank, and find it to be a great fixture. I used it for a planted freshwater tank at first, and it worked well then, too.
    I have the Current Satellite Plus Freshwater. I ALMOST went for the Pro with its dynamic night-dawn-day-dusk color effects, but figured that would be a little over the top for my 10 Gallon. Maybe whenever I can do my paludarium (the goal is a 180, with 2/3 land and 1/3 water) I'll go for it, lol. My little girl needs to do some growing first, though (and I need to get out of my apartment :-P ).

The Exo Terra is great because it's the only UVB + Light I've found under 80W (I've got the 35W, which comes in just about right for the size of my setup). The fixture is a bit pricey, but my experience so far is that it's superior to the Mercury Vapor bulbs. Zoo Med makes an MHD that's a bit cheaper, but the bulbs are much higher wattage, and the fixture doesn't come with a stand. The other downside to the price is that the bulbs are NOT interchangeable between the two, so you can't use the Exo Terra bulbs in the Zoo Med feature, and vice-versa.