Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Spiritual healing?

Hi, this is a bit of a strange request & isn't about my 2 garters. To cut a long story short I live on a canal boat in the UK, about 2 months ago the marina dog caught a seemingly wild european grass snake & gave it a bit of a nip. Puncture wounds to the tail & side where the sides meet the belly scales. It was given to a couple on another boat to look after as they'd recently lost their rat snake. I saw it for the first time this weekend & was supprised to see the wounds still not healed, it's just shed but is not eating well, looks skinny & flesh baggy around the neck. Still livley & a lot friendlier than my garters, no signs of stress when handled. My question is how long should a flesh wound take to heal? It's only had natural therapies so far, bathed twice a day in some solution of lavender & other flowers.
    If it was my call it would be straight to the vet but unfortunatly i don't think they would like my advice.

Re: Spiritual healing?

How open are they to other treatments? like a week betadine solution bath.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

I think i'll have to be careful how i approach the subject, she's a Reiki healer so doesn't belive in non natural substances. It mightbe great under some circumstances, i believe it's been good for dogs. What's upsetting is i have a spare vivarium, temp control, full setup apart from a natural daylight tube, I've some limited past experience with reptiles & injuries / illness which is why I don't think it's healing quick enough. Trouble is it's not my call.

Ask them really nice if you can have the poor little guy.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Quote Originally Posted by katach View Post

I second that. Maybe you can pour on a truly sad story (sadder than theirs) and acquire the snake for yourself. Then he may have a better chance. Just a thought
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Maybe you could suggest taking it since you have setups specially designed for garters and the two species are very similar?
    Sticky situation.. Hope the snake gets better regardless of where it ends up.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by katach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    I second that. Maybe you can pour on a truly sad story (sadder than theirs) and acquire the snake for yourself. Then he may have a better chance. Just a thought
    Good advice.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I really doubt lavender will help the snake, if not hurt it. I am a big believer in natural cures and remedies, because they work for me, but snakes and other animals have such a different body structure and makeup that I don't think that any natural/plant remedy that helps a human would help a snake
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I hate to differ with you on that point but animals have an exceptional ability to heal themselves on their own. That can only be done in the wild with natural items. I'm all for naturalistic/holistic healing, however, I am more than open to any benefit that can come from our knowledge of compounds as well. (Please don't take that the wrong way)
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

I agree with animals being able to heal themselves on their own, but I highly doubt rubbing a plant on it is going to help the snake.I know some plants have antibacteral properties and coule help keep the wound "clean", but peppermint and cedar oil help with muscle pains, but you wouldn't put those on your snake, would you?
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)