Never shed

why does baby snakes just die all sudden?

So if figured i make a new thread cause im not getting any reply's in my old ones...

So yep today had another snake die all sudden for no reason... Tho it seems like it started too have issues about a week and a half ago. While all the other 4 ate normal soon as i put it in this one pretty much went after the food but mostly pushing it and ony opening his mouth a little bit and when he does get it half in his mouth he would take minutes for it too get down or even start chewing...

Than most of the time i have too put him on the other side of the cage and soake the pieces and smash them and put it by his mouth and he usely gets it in and sometimes i had too tap the piece a bit too help him out. He always got 2 too 3 pieces per feeding tho and he looked healthy...

Than yesterday he wouldn't even try or take a piece.. And kept looking up in the in the air alot like bending his head up.. So the other ones ate so i put the cage back up and put their tree back in and him and all of them went up too sleep. Today i saw him moving by the tree But a hour ago which is their feeding time i found him just laying there dead:/

Is it normal too loose batchs out of nowhere even tho you doing everything right? mamma snake gave birth too 11 and now i have 4:/ The first 6 they pretty much died every couple days up too a month even tho they was eating.. Than this one made it almost too 2months and yep died:/

Oh and one of the bigger ones out of the batch of 4 just shedded at first i was getting worry about him cause he didint eat 2 days ago because of it but the next day he ate 4 pieces like he normally does.

"Third shed In Progress"

Re: why does baby snakes just die all sudden?

Dekays babies are tough, I really don't know, I had the same experience. I had a litter and one by one they would die despite eating. It was unfortunate... Dekays are rarely kept so we don't really know the key to successfully raising the babies yet I guess.

Old and wise snake

The key to keeping Dekay's alive is to not keep them in captivity.

They are a difficult species to raise. I think Mother Nature is best suited for the job.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

I agree with Eddie....and Steve

Never shed

Thing is the mama snake is doing great sense i bring her in and also likes too be out in the open and usely last i herd they really shy snakes. But nope not this one. when we go by her tank she would come right out and come right close too the glass.. And when she wants too eat she would go on her rock and shake her head up and down with her tonge flicking out lol Pretty much lets me know when she wants too eat and usely eats 3 too 4 worms like nothing. Shes not hard too keep at all. i also put that reptile powder on the worms sometimes for her and she takes them right in.

But yea babies not sure whats up with them.. Im doing everything i should be with them.. The good thing is these 4 i have now is the bigger ones with alot of weight on them and one of them already shed. about 5 inchs big at the moment and they eat like crazy lol. when they do eat that one day alot i usely skip a day for eating so they don't eat too much.

The other ones that died they was smaller than the 4 they did eat but yea they was a good bit smaller in weight and wasn't as active either but they shown no issues except the one that last died 2 days ago.. was surprised too have this last one to die cause he was about 2 months now... The other ones pretty much died in the first couple weeks up too a month after birth..

Tho the questions i been wanting too ask. can they hurt each other? why i ask is i do see some of them fighting for the food sometimes like trying too take it out of there mouth and playing tug of war sometimes till i break them up.. can they hurt each other too cause these problems?

Oh when do they mature so i can separate them? i don't want anymore:/ its hard too tell which one is females or males at the moment. if i had a guess the longer ones are females? And when can i switch too dirt from the paper towel?

i would like too keep these 4 ones cause well they probably so used being inside now and they do like too be together at the moment.. I just hope these ones last tho.. But yea i wish i would've just left the mama out the week i got her when i herd she was going too have babies but i thought she just was fat for eating alot... But nope 2 too 3 months after she had them..