Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: April 2007 Photo & Caption Comments Thread

Hi all,

Before next month's contests begin, I wanted to revisit one of the rules and see what the group concensus would be about limiting the number of photos that each person can submit. Our forum is growing, and we had 21 different people submit photos last month. What do you think about only allowing one photo entry per month?

The caption contest hasn't grown nearly as fast, so I don't think the number of entries should be limited at this point.

Rick

That is ok for me, it's on most of the fora like that and it's still fun to participate. So 1 photo is fine by me.

I think maybe this is a good idea, now that so many people are entering the competition. Plus, I think everyone realizes when they post their pics that one is always superior to the other!
    James.

If it's necessary, then why not.

Another solution might be to be a bit more strict about pictures that don't fit the selected theme. There have been a few of those in the last couple of contests.

Edit: Counted about a dozen pictures that I personally wouldn't consider "close-ups of heads". Hate to whine about these things.
    Last edited by Stefan-A; 04-26-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Yeh, think that'd be fine to just limit the pics to just one per person.
    Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    If it's necessary, then why not.

Another solution might be to be a bit more strict about pictures that don't fit the selected theme. There have been a few of those in the last couple of contests.

Edit: Counted about a dozen pictures that I personally wouldn't consider "close-ups of heads". Hate to whine about these things.
    Stefan is indeed right. Otherwise we wouldn't need a theme in the first place. Before the winner is chosen, the pics that don't qualify should be taken out. I know I won't be able to participate in some themes because of that, but I think it's only fair for those that do qualify for the theme.

I have mixed feelings on this...sorry to be awkward.

Some of our members have primative camera equipment, some are very young, others just lack photographic experience. I think it would be a shame if people were exluded, after all the competition is just for fun, and this isn't a photography forum.

I think as long as the member is trying to achieve the subject, they should be allowed to participate. A close up for example, is a difficult subject for a child with a simple camera. It doesn't really matter if they are included, the quality entries will always win anyway.

Okay, if someone enters a picture which is clearly not on topic, it would be deleted. For example, I had to remove a very good entry this month, because it wasn't Thamnophis.

Let's be a little more tolerant of our less able photographers, and have some fun.
    James.

It feels to me that people try to participate with whatever they have on their hard drives, instead of participating with whatever they have on their hard drives that fits the theme. I admit I might be a bit too competitive at times, but it sort of takes the fun out of it when there's no point in following the rules.

Let's face it, not everybody has to participate every month, I'm still waiting for mating/birthing themes and I know I won't be able to participate that month. Who knows how many themes there are that I can't participate in just because I don't have (or I am unable to take) a suitable picture. Skills and equipment only let you take a high quality picture, but it won't create the opportunity.

Had to dig up one of my own quotes from the very first contest:

"And I just want to add that when you vote (wait for the poll ), vote for the one you like best. The skills of the photographer and the quality of the camera should be of lesser importance."

I think it just comes down to a matter of philosophy. At this point, I'd rather promote participation and encourage participation than to exclude anyone who falls short of my arbitrary standard.

At any given time, I could probably go through this month's entries and say that a particular photo qualifies or doesn't qualify. Jason, James, and Fons might disagree with my opinion, and I might even have a different opinion an hour later, depending upon how strict I want to interpret the theme. Since the term "close-up" is subjective, I think deleting some of the entries would just promote arguements about which pictures actually qualify. I'm sure that if three people independently reviewed all of the photos, at least one would disagree about which photos qualify.

My philosophy is that as long as people adhere to the "spirit and intent" of the theme, their picture should qualify. Yet, I don't run the forum... just contribute my opinion equally with everyone else. As always... majority rules.