Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: my snake won't eat

anything is worth a try - even something the snake didn't take a week ago
    and definitely make sure she has a quiet and undisturbed place
    good luck
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

My little guys only eat worms so far I've had them 3 weeks or so and they pretty much ate from the get go. I am trying live fish today (Guppies) to see if they like that I haven't tried mice and the idea kind of puts me off. my snake owner friends have exotics that only eat mice and the process of defrosting getting right temp putting them in a sererate container etc. is pretty involved process that takes a bit of time( I know it's only once a week or so). I not saying that isn't a worhtwhile and mice are easier to procure year round ( but our guys hibernate so that isn't an issue is it?) it's jsut not for me and the smell kind of turns my stomach It's much easier to throw a couple of night crawlers in and watch them hunt them down and eat them as long as you dip them ocasionally with Ca with Vit D your ok. A quality worm is jsut tougher to come by my yard is all organic so I collect them from my yard and supplement them with night crawlers which for some odd reason is 3x expensive at the pet shop ($ 6.99 for 12) than the bait shop (where I get them $2.50 a dozen) and they look exactly the same container. A little segue the local shop sells red wrigglers that are not suppose to be good feeidng items for Garter Snakes(?) and he didn't know that but I can feed them to my turtle.
    Dwight
    2 Common Garter (Lelu and Ridick)
    1 Baby Painted Turtle
    2 Tree Hermit Crabs
    1 Jack Russel Terrier (Sasha) loves the snakes

"Preparing For First shed" GradStudentLeper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emilyruth View Post
    I caught a 2ft garter snake about 2.5 weeks ago. after biting me once and smelling bad twice, she has become very calm and gentle. I would like to keep her for the rest of the summer before letting her go (I have a mini petting zoo, and it's nice to show the kids, and I like holding her) but I don't think she has eaten since I got her. First, I put a little dish with minnows in her tank, but she would spill the water and the fish would die and smell and she didn'e eat them, so after 5 days I took them out. I went to the pet store, and put her in with a mouse, and she didn't express interest, so the guy told me she probably wasn't hungry and to come back in 5 days. so I did, and I bought a mouse and brought it home. I offered it to her several times in her tank, but still no interest. I put some worms in, and she hasn't eaten them. can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong and how I can get her to eat? should I just let her go now(I'd really rather not but I don't want her to die)?
    I have almost 20 garter snakes, never had this problem if you feed them what they eat in the Nature. Make sure the snake has a basking spot in the cage in the mid 80s so it can warm up (rest of the cage keeping at room temp is fine), make sure the snake has a place to hide.

Then drop in a small frog or toad, possibly a non-toxic salamander

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Hi, from Oregon, emilyruth

Hi, I'm New Here!

My snake's doing well now. I stopped holding him for a while, got her a bigger, more comfortable living place. I put a big rock on one side, then stones on top of that. I put some grass on the top of that, some sticks for climbing, and then about 3 inches of water for a swimming area. I found slugs and worms and put them on land, and a little fish to swim around the bottom. most of what I gave him disappeared, so I think he's eating well. also, shortly after I asked for help, he shed, and that might have bee why he didn't want to eat initially. Thank you, everyone, for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyruth View Post
    My snake's doing well now. I stopped holding him for a while, got her a bigger, more comfortable living place. I put a big rock on one side, then stones on top of that. I put some grass on the top of that, some sticks for climbing, and then about 3 inches of water for a swimming area. I found slugs and worms and put them on land, and a little fish to swim around the bottom. most of what I gave him disappeared, so I think he's eating well. also, shortly after I asked for help, he shed, and that might have bee why he didn't want to eat initially. Thank you, everyone, for your help.
    That's the kicker. Most snakes go off feed when they shed. They get all reclusive and snappy as well. Well, mine dont, but my snakes (including my pine and gopher snakes) are tame as cats...

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudentLeper View Post
    but my snakes (including my pine and gopher snakes) are tame as cats...
    what kinds of cats are we talking about here?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

give em time it took mine 2 weeeks to start eating
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    what kinds of cats are we talking about here?
    I have a pine snake that likes to crawl into my shirt and hang out with me while I nap on my computer chair. That kind of cat.