Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thermostat probe

I am completely lost now...why would you be making a hole for the stat probe? Maybe I just don't get what you are doing. I also know that if you are putting the snake in a plastic tub of some sort...you have to make sure the heat mat you are using doesn't melt the container. I'm not sure what a faunarium is either. Sorry...
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    About 18"long,12" inches wide and abot 8"tall i think
    Is it like these

If so there should be a hole in each the tops back corners ...and they are just the right size for thermometer probe to go through ,then (on mine) I just drilled a hole in the lid just big enough for stat prob to go through next to it....then put probes through with enough slack for them to lie down on the substrate above the heat mat.
    Don't try to fix them in position, as when you need to give it a full clean you will have to remove the lid.
    If you are going to use a RUB , then just drill two holes near the top in the side above the warm end (just big enough for each probe)..then set probes just above the substrate level.....you can fix these in position with a blob of sealant or by drilling a small hole each side of the probes and use a cable ties to hold in place.
    Also if you are going to use a RUB you will have to put a piece hardboard between the lid and the top the RUB as there is a gap and I have heard stories on another forum of small snakes getting there heads trapped in the gap resulting in fatalities.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

"Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    I am completely lost now...why would you be making a hole for the stat probe? Maybe I just don't get what you are doing. I also know that if you are putting the snake in a plastic tub of some sort...you have to make sure the heat mat you are using doesn't melt the container. I'm not sure what a faunarium is either. Sorry...
    Marnie a fuanarium is what's in my pics
    And a lot of people over here use RUBs (Really Useful Box) as vivs
    Can I see your RUB set ups - Reptile Forums
    There is much debate on the same forum about the use of them.
    Mark

Thanks mark for your help i'm off to borrow me dads drill....

Oh...okay...I see what he means now...he needs a place to get the probe into the box. Plenty of people use plastic tubs over here in the states for enclosures for snakes as well...and I actually do know what a RUB is because of our many UK members. I just hadn't heard the term faunarium before. And I wasn't following with the need for the hole and the probe...but I got it now! Yes...Wayne had shown us a pic of a little garter who had got his head caught in plastic slat openings, similar to the ones on those in the pic above, in the top of a common reptile keeper we have over here called a Kritter Keeper...broke his little neck. So you do have to be very careful with those...make sure the snake is big enough that it cannot get it's head into those slats....or any gaps like Mark is describing. Garters will make every effort to try to wedge their heads in any opening they can find...and they can flatten their heads and fit them into spaces a bit smaller then their head. Good job mentioning that, Mark.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe