Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shedding tips

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Shedding tips

I spotted my parietalis having trouble with her shed earlier this evening. She had got started on her lower jaw, but was struggling to get the top of her head loose. I watched her for 10-15 minutes to be sure that I wasn't jumping in too soon before helping her. But it was clear that she couldn't get the shed started on her top lip and was starting to shred the rest of her shed. She had nearly 10cm of the bottom of her shed free but the top of her head and a 5mm strip down her dorsal was still in place.
    She knew I was watching and kept looking at me (Nobby is most happy when she is out being handled), it would be a hard call to suggest that she wanted help but she did approach my hand when I put it in which seems odd for a snake actively shedding.
    She didn't need a lot of help. When she was in on hand I just had to get a grip on the strip of skin that wasn't coming away on her dorsal, once she realised that I was holding it she used me as an anchor point and removed the skin from her head in reverse. When her whole head was free she switched to shedding the rest of her body. Both eyecaps and a full shed in the end.

It didn't justify a thread of its own, but an example of how you occasionally need to help.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Glad you were there to lend some assistance. I on occasion need to help some of mine out.
    They do seem to understand what's going on once you get a good grip on the shed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

It just shows how intelligent they are..when i try to help my gecko get stuck shed off he thinks im going to kill him and squeals like a pig lol
    Will