Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: A Facebook discussion with, amongst others, Mark O Shea about tetrataenia

Here is a link to the ICZN (International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature) where they stepped in to stop a proposed name change to T.s.tetrataenia (San Francisco Garter Snake) in order to keep its "Endangered" status intact.

Conservation | International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature

Here is another link to a study that shows T.s.tetrataenia has a much larger range then O'Shea suggests.

Thank you Steve Schmidt for the link to this study.
    http://ecos.fws.gov/docs/five_year_review/doc774.pdf
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

That's why I placed the discussion here... Because as far as I knew there still is a subspecies names tetrataenia.
    I placed a link etc. to this topic in the discussion on facebook for Mark O' Shea.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thamnophis View Post
    That's why I placed the discussion here... Because as far as I knew there still is a subspecies names tetrataenia.
    I placed a link etc. to this topic in the discussion on facebook for Mark O' Shea.
    It's a shame most of us can't see the FB discussion, it must be restricted to Mark's friends. I hope that you can update the discussion with the information here that corrects the assertion that infernalis and tetrataenia are the same subspecies.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"First shed In Progress"

you probably do have to be on Mark o Shea's friends list as it was posted on his wall, I'm on there so I can see it

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

The follow up...

Fons Sleijpen Mark, I placed this discussion on the large forum www.thamnophis.com.

The topic is here: http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...trataenia.html

Taxonomic Comments: CNAH

The International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature (2000 Opinion 1961, Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature 57(3): 191-192) has voted to retain the historical taxonomic arrangement of subspecies within this evolutionary lineage, rejecting the arrangement proposed by Boundy and Rossman (1995 Copeia 1995(1): 236-240). Accordingly, the subspecies tetrataenia is reinstated and the races concinnus and infernalis retain their historical definition.Garter Snake Forum
    www.thamnophis.comThamnophis is a community dedicated to the raising and husbandry of garter snakes.

Mark O'Shea Fons, Having now looked into this I agree the ICZN did decide to retain tetrataenia so as to maintain stability. I have read the argument but forward by Barry & Jennings in this respect. I therefore stand corrected, nobody is right all the time eh! Looks like I will have to relabel my photos of this attractive gartersnake again but I appreciate the heads up.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Glad we could be part of resolving any misinformation.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee