Page 462 of 469 FirstFirst ... 362412452460461462463464 ... LastLast
Results 4,611 to 4,620 of 4688
    Banned

Re: The Nature Photography Thread

My point was that ripping them out all but ensures that mycelium won't fruit again. Cutting instead of pulling doesn't guarantee you will get another flush. That all depends on species, if it's the first time they've flushed, and conditions, etc. But pulling just about guarantees that it won't flush again, even if the species and conditions would have allowed another flush.

Banned

disregard

I understand what you meant to say even if my reply sounded the other way around. Also thank you for the info, i don't always absorb the entire article/story and i get stuff a little wrong, case in point about cutting vs pulling, well that and you can't believe everything on the net anyways, wikipedia has good info but not always 100% correct.

Banned

My experience has been that most of the time if you cut morels you will get a flush from that spot again next year but if you pull it you most likely won't. Otherwise they'll fruit in the same spot 2-3 years in a row.

As far as the psychedelics go, I found flushes of Psilocybe semilanceata in clumps where 10-12 big ones were growing from the same approx 5 cm square area. In some fields these spots could be found every few feet. I always had cut them and that same spot would flush again year after year or sometimes twice in a season. The field would produce in much the same way year after year too. The first time someone else discovered them and started ripping them out, the very next year there were far fewer and scattered singly. Eventually the field was completely ruined because every time a mycelium would flush, someone came along and destroyed it. They never did recover back the way it used to be where the field was full of huge clumps.

Psilocybe cyanescens which are more common and can be found growing almost any place there is decomposing wood/wood chips including some spots I know of in the city where they are growing in commercial zone landscapes in wood chips under rodies, seem to grow back every year in large numbers no matter if you pull them or cut them.

That's interesting, i have only looked a few times for the psychedelics mostly because i don't trust myself to I'd but after a good rain or if its a long rain i will go out just to find look at and take pics of any mushrooms they are very interesting to me.like how they differ from species to species in colors and how you can find multiple types in a small area in deciduous forests and they can grow in city environments.

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

I actually grew morel mycellium last year and it fully filled my quart size mixture of pressure cooked grass seed,gypsum,wood ash and peat...i waited for it to be well established then "planted" it in a dead ash section of the woods. From what ive read the mushroom or fruit is the mycellium trying to reproduce cuz it doesnt feel the environment is suitable for it anymore. Evidentally thats why they are found more after a forest fire and when the elm or other tree they are with dies.
    Dan

Just got back from a short walk took a few pics

Found this butterfly/moth on the ground it couldn't/wouldn't fly. Not sure if it shortly came out of its cocoon or what

A small snail

A cool bug i found under a old box for beer

Some flowers

2.2.1Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis Ekoh, Amaunet, Emily, Copper,
    1.0 Canis familiaris Chihuahua Hershey
    1.1 Felis catus Jinx and Rocky

Where understanding lives, danger (and fear) dies.

A pore bracket mushroom/fungus

This is a turkey i found when i was looking for morels a few days ago. I actually stumbled on it, it was getting dark and i happened to look over and there it was almost 4 feet away and it didn't move or take off when i approached to get the picture I'm not sure if it was injured or maybe just protecting an egg but all it did was blink a few times so i know it was alive

I'm guessing the beavers jaws got tired but who knows lol
    2.2.1Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis Ekoh, Amaunet, Emily, Copper,
    1.0 Canis familiaris Chihuahua Hershey
    1.1 Felis catus Jinx and Rocky

Where understanding lives, danger (and fear) dies.

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Morel season just started where im at...blacks should be next followed by yellow.....ive got 142 peker heads...spelled wrong for younger eyes lolIMAG0912.jpg
    Dan

I have never had those ones before but i bet they are still good...i need to get out tomorrow the temps will be in the 80s for a few days and i need to get some yellows before they disappear for another year...nice haul though