Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Never shed

Picky eater; preference of where to get fish!

Hi! So I got my two lovely babysnakes from Scott F last Thursday - one Florida Blue-Sided (skittish as hell!), and a Neon Blue California RS (way more calm). The similis is on pinky mouse parts and has eaten since arrival without a problem.. but the infernalis has not touched any pinky parts. I was hoping just scenting them would be adequate but I may have to go and buy some feeder fish for the little guy (I feel better knowing he gets calcium from whole-bodied food, etc). NOW! My question is.. where is a good place to find silver sideds or rosy feeder fish? I have tried looking it up and it's ... a little vague, let's just say.

So, especially to those Canadian owners out there, where you prefer to get your fish from??

Thanks!

Never shed

Re: Picky eater; preference of where to get fish!

I thought Petco carried these?. Assuming you have a Petco within driving distance.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Don't use rosy reds. They contain thiaminase, which can cause severe neurological problems and death. Some people have used them without problem, but IMO there's just no reason to take that risk if you don't have to. You can buy f/t silversides at most chain petstores or on the internet and cut them into appropriate sized pieces. If you're talking about babies from this year, you'll want feeder guppies rather than minnows anyway.
    Try cutting up f/t fish first though. All live feeders (especially petstore guppies) have the potential to transmit parasites.

Also, it hasn't even been a week yet. He probably just hasn't had time to settle in well yet. If Scott said he was eating pinkies before he was shipped out, he'll probably eat those once he feels comfortable in his new home.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Never shed

The CRS was on fish - he told me specifically rosy feeders.
    But thanks, I will try to find the silver sides!

Never shed

I realize now that I failed to mention the CRS was on fish before arriving to my home.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

"rosy feeders" are rosy red minnows. Don't feed those. You can use them to scent though.

I buy tilapia fillets from Trader Joe's. My snakes prefer them over the silversides. I've never bought it anywhere else but I'd avoid walmart/target and use a market or trader joes. Better quality.

I refuse to give petco money but they, and most other pet stores carry frozen, whole silversides. little fish like minnows except they don't kill your snake.

If you have access to fresh water stream, you can find dace minnows for your snakes. Petco has silversides frozen and I would only use fresh fish from a market or fish store, nothing frozen. You can freeze what ever you don't use, including the minnows if you can find them and your snakes don't eat them all! I feed mine salmon but at the moment, only my larger, older snakes will eat it.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

... There's nothing wrong with using frozen feeders. I can see why people wouldn't want to give their money to Petco/Petsmart, but there's no health reason that fish from a fish market would be healthier than frozen silversides, and several reasons (ie; potential mercury in w/c fish) that it might be worse...

If he doesn't go for frozen, I imagine it's probably the presence of a live fish more than it is specifically rosy reds that would get him eating. Other species or guppies would probably have the same effect as a rosy.

When you use wild fish you run the risk of parasites and diseases (this also applies to live feeder fish; they are kept in such cramped conditions that they usually aren't healthy) as well as toxicity from anything that might have gotten into the stream or groundwater. Also, many common fish contain thiaminase. Unless you're confident in your ability to ID wild minnows, you could easily get one of those species. Mainly, it's just a lot of trouble to go to for something that's less safe than what you can buy on the internet or in a petstore.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I didn't say the market is healthier than the silversides, I meant fillets from a market are more quality than fillets from Walmart or Target, which have killed snakes.

Frozen silversides rock. I just buy them from petsmart instead of petco because petsmart make me hate humanity less.

lol, I was replying to LeAnn's post with that bit (I should take the time to quote things when I post).

Now that I re-read what I wrote it sounded a bit snippy, but that was just the result of me juggling a couple internet windows and a quiz I was writing. This thread got my quiz tone-of-voice.

Wasn't there a really long thread awhile back where everyone was discussing the pros and cons of various sources and species of fresh fish and filets?

Just out of curiosity why do you prefer petsmart to petco? I'm not really a fan of either. All I know is I buy most of my stuff from Petco and I always want to pull my hair out afterwards (though I should thank them for letting me adopt a perfectly healthy, perfectly behaved BP for free because it had 'behavioral issues')
    Lora