Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Time for Brumation?

This is my first time keeping garter snakes and so far my T. s. sirtalis has been readily eating worms and guppies but has stopped altogether for the past couple of days. Since it is almost winter I'm assuming she needs to be brumated. From what I've read, I should put her in an area with temperatures at 55f and lower it gradually to 43f over an 8-10 week time span. She's only one month old and I'm wondering if that will effect in any way the period of time for brumation.

Is the process I read about accurate? Please let me know.

Thanks so much,
    Aiden Smith

Re: Time for Brumation?

I would not brumate a neonate. Eating should resume shortly. There are dangers in brumation. I would take this first year and let the scrub grow and mature.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

I have a feeling that 43F is way too cold a target temperature even for adults. One month old , even in the wild doesn't happen. They are usually yearlings when the brumation occurs. Some breeders have cooled babies for up to 8 weeks that aren't feeding as a last resort to stimulate the feeding response. Very controversial and most times not necessary. Your real target temperature for brumation should be no lower than 48F and should include adequate moisture to avoid dehydration. I lost 3 adult garters recently bc my temps were too low (46F) and i didn't have adequate hydration/ moisture in the tubs. I am still very saddened over that.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

News flash. Babys brumate in the wild. It is no more dangerous then brumating adults. Ive done it with great success and i find its more natural then forcing them to keep eating and come out eating great.

Steve, do you bromate any of your snakes? Only those that you want to breed? I think that what works for your million plus snakes should work for me too

Quote Originally Posted by Peterra View Post
    Steve, do you bromate any of your snakes? Only those that you want to breed? I think that what works for your million plus snakes should work for me too
    Yes, only the breeders.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Thanks for the reply! I do not think I am overly interested in breeding mine so I will skip the brumantion process. That said I would not say no to a couple or 100 new babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterra View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I do not think I am overly interested in breeding mine so I will skip the brumantion process. That said I would not say no to a couple or 100 new babies.
    Be careful what you wish for.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    News flash. Babys brumate in the wild. It is no more dangerous then brumating adults. Ive done it with great success and i find its more natural then forcing them to keep eating and come out eating great.
    Joe, not a month old neonate though?? I can't see a 30 day old snake that needs to be brumated bc he missed a couple of feedings. Maybe he's gonna shed, or is otherwise not interested in feeding or just isn't hungry. Also, it's highly unlikely that at one month of age he has the nutritional reserves for brumation. I think it's more important to make sure the young animal is hydrated with fresh water overall.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Joe, not a month old neonate though?? I can't see a 30 day old snake that needs to be brumated bc he missed a couple of feedings. Maybe he's gonna shed, or is otherwise not interested in feeding or just isn't hungry. Also, it's highly unlikely that at one month of age he has the nutritional reserves for brumation. I think it's more important to make sure the young animal is hydrated with fresh water overall.
    Yes, why not a month old neonate thats been eating then stoped? Its a common thing this time of the year. I find it easier to brumate in that situation then to work against it. If i was in that situation thats what i would do. Ive been there