Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Healthy weight?? Slowing down for winter??

I'm uping his temperatures for both day and night. (started 2 days ago) Day: High 80s, Night: Mid 80s. I just purchased some f/t pinkies (I scented with fish) and am offering it right now, so far no luck. He is incredibly shy so the only option is make it appetizing, put it where he'll see it then leave the room completely. He's taken from tweezers before and crawled on my hand!! Two steps forward one back I guess. If he doesn't take tonight, next feeding i'll make that nightcrawler+pinkie entree, and hope for the best. If anyone has any other suggestions for feeding a shy snake it would be greatly appreciated.) Hearing that his current weight + size looks okay is a huge relief!! Thank you all!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Hey Ninya , good job. Don't really continue too regularly offering bc sometimes that will reinforce refusals. Great to see the temps are up to par day and night. I would definitely space out the offerings and sure, leave it in the enclosure on a piece of paper towel or foil or dish. As long as your temps are correct you will be ok. As long as the animal is not ill or injured and appears alert I think you're fine. Certainly different offerings of food will help also. There are times that I go through the same issues with feedings and what I do is space out the interval and leave the food in a shallow dish over time or overnight.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Yep! I was planning on offering the next week. I'll update you when he eats. Thanks again!

I will second what Albert said and ask: have you tried leaving the food in overnight? Some of my garters like to have a midnight snack.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I almost always leave food in overnight.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I offered a scented and cut f/t pinky with no takes, so I mixed it in with some cut pieces of fish. Left the room and came back to the pieces of fish gone. He gobbled them all up. Just need to get him to take some mice for me now! thank you all so much. I think the temperature fix got him back to his fish-loving self. Next round I'll offer the pinky with some chopped nightcrawler and see how it goes.

That is great to hear; congrats!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you!!

Old and wise snake

Very cool!!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Unfortunately, he hasn't eaten since. I've offered nightcrawler pieces, f/t silverside, and scented pinky (cut). Stayed consistent with temperatures. I leave it in overnight but no takes and seemingly no interest at all. He hasn't shed since this hunger strike. (no growth) Originally he shed very often. I don't think I see too much weight loss, but I am worried. If anyone has any other suggestions or input I would love to hear, this one has me stressed out. These are recent pictures of him if anyone thinks he is concerningly underweight. I'm just scared he is malnourished at this point or ill. He is still curious and when startled he gets around by zooming. I can tell he is active as there are 5 new tunnels through the aspen when I come home. I'm a huge worry-wort especially when it comes to my animals who are my responsibility. Any more input/recommendations would be incredible, I apologize for being repetitive. You all are amazing, thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images