Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Never shed

Re: wild garter snake that got into some trouble wont eat?

Yep he sure was a strong little snake and wanted too keep going Me and my mum still miss him:/ But he did make us like snakes and want another one in the future

My mum which was always afraid of well pretty much everything even pick him up trying too get him too eat. she got attach too him..

When it comes time what are good snakes too have? Would love another one of him or a normal garter snake but i don't think anyone sells them?

I wont be picking any up outside.. I will try and help them like we did this little guy if they in danger tho. But if they normal best too leave them be

I would suggest a female T. radix (Plains Garter Snake) Sweet attitude, eats everything, very docile.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

So sorry about your loss. Thanks for all your efforts. It's really difficult to bring these little guys back to health after such horrendous injuries and illnesses. It's always a good idea to start with healthy individuals from breeders. We have several breeders right here on the forum to sell you high quality, healthy garters. I know the easy thing is to go herping and collect wild reptiles but that is often frought with problems and may or may not be very disappointing. Captive born and bred are a healthier animal, and have the ability to be long time pets over the wild caught. Just something to consider for the future.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

As I was reading through this thread I was really hoping for a happy ending. At first I thought no chance, then I though maybe there is a chance. You did all you could.

Never shed

Well have a update. went out in my yard and dad was about too cut the yard.. When he yelled for me and told me too come over here. Welp another Storeria dekayi and just looked like him. I was going too leave him alone but i wanted too give it another try cause i did want another snake like him. So i took the plastic cage i got my other one in and sat it right by him and he went right in...

So right now setting up the bigger tank how it was with my old one and going too put a cover over it for a day or 2 too let him get used too the area. And i figured if he wont eat either and sense its starting summer soon i can just put him out were he was. How long should i give him too eat something before i put him back out? Also looks very healthy and no cuts this time thank god...

Just weird how another one showed right up out of nowere and looks the same maybe another chance? lol

You might be surprised at how quickly they start to eat. Small earthworms under the hide in a lid or something.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

went out side and got some small worms and hold one by him with tweezers wouldn't take it than when i put it by him and it started touching him a bit and bang he took it and ate it up Tho he didint want anymore and just ignore the 2nd one. But he does eat which im glad

How many do they eat a day? or in a week total? Now im sure before i took him in he did his eating so probably not too hungry at the moment. heres a pic of him i say a pretty decent size. I will get him a substrate from the pet store in a few days tho dirt is a bit messy.. Its top soil that is used out side too fill in holes etc pretty much outside dirt. Will buy other things for him also sense i know hes a eater lol..
    snake.jpg

Glad to hear she ate. Looks like a gravid female to me. I would strongly suggest you release her back where you found her so she can have her babies where they should be. Neonate S. dekayi are very difficult to start in captivity, best to let nature do that job.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

Hmm i hope shes not pregnant Tho from the way she looks now it seems like shes more thinner in that area when shes spread out like her whole body match's. is there another way too tell could it be just it ate alot before we took her in? Why im asking is she really got attach too her surroundings now and even us lol.. And shes taking the worms soon as we drop them in the tank and looking for me too give her more lol... We kinda attach too her now like we were the first one lol...

Also plays with our fingers when we move them on the glass and always out in the open lol..

Really hate leaving her go and let alone there is alot of bad things out in this area that can get her.. tons of cats ratcoons and beavers etc.... Pretty sure a cat got my first one:/

Also how much should they eat like how many worms is good enough? and like per day or every other day? The day after we bring her in she ate 3 decent size ones. and i waited 2 days later and she ate 3 more. than today i pop one in and she bit it right in half and ate them than i gave her another. Just don't want too be over feeding her. I noticed she ony wants the big juicy ones cause she just goes too them and don't bother with them and look up at me for something bigger lol..

Sorry i didn't get back sooner had net troubles...

Never shed

Welp you was right... she been great for the 3 months now eating every day and been a sweet snake.. than this week i noticed she wont eat any worms at all for the pass week.. We was ready too go too sleep and i noticed something was in her tunnel.... Yep she gave birth... so far she had 9 babys which i have them in a small tank at the moment.. I think she going too have more but shes really stressing and her belly is sunken in.

Will these babies eat cut up normal size worms if cut in small pieces? i have a small water dish in with them now with just a tiny bit of water in it also.. at the moment they really active and moving around fast and sticking their tong out lol..

Now the question would it be better if i leave them outside or are they too small at the moment? cause at the moment im not sure if i able too take care of all of them lol.. or is there a place that would take them and care for them?

But yea i should've listen too you @guidofatherof5 ... but we really fallen in love with the mother and she was really used too us and i thought she just was fat cause over time she even out except tonight lol..