Hi, I'm New Here!

Switching to mice

Any advice on how to get a skittish, wild-caught garter over to frozen pinkies? Had him for about five months, just started handling a few times a week this week at advice of another snake owner. He's been kind of on-and-off food - ate only half a nightcrawler last week after not eating for 3 weeks. He was interested in a pinkie, but gets scared by my movement. Is the solution here to just handle him more/get him less scared of people? In the past, I've just been leaving nightcrawlers on a paper towel, and if they move enough he'll go for it, but I'd like to get him to mice.

EDIT: Here are some photos. He's about 27 grams right now. Looking healthy?
    aZW6juy.jpgLh7QsMN.jpg

Old and wise snake

Re: Switching to mice

He looks healthy. Try rubbing a worm all over the pinky. That usually does the trick. Eventually he will take the pinks unscented. This time of year they usually don't eat that much so I wouldn't worry to much.
    Good luck!!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

I would ditto what Eddie says. The garter does look like he has plenty of fat reserves also. Yes. Looks healthy.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

you said he gets scared by your movement, just cut up a pinkie and a worm and mix them together and put on a plate in his cage, then immediately walk away, leave him undisturbed either for a a coupe hours or overnight, then check. This time of year except lack of appetite, especially from a wild caught.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi, I caught a wild garter and he was eating guppies in his water dish, I decided to put a thawed pinkie in the water dish and he ate it, now he is on fuzzies fed the same way (in his water dish). make sure to change the water after so no bacteria grows from the dead mouse. Rubbing a pinky with a worm didn't work for me because the snake I have wouldn't eat a worm, only live fish. Hope this helps.