Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Lost our way?

"First shed, A Success" beaniesmommy's Avatar

Re: Lost our way?

I agree with ANJI1971 to a tee. I couldn't have wrote it better. Our common interest is Garters... That makes us animal lovers, it is hard not to talk about all other animals, snakes or otherwise with our friends. I have a zoo at my house I would need 15 different forums. I try really hard not to talk about anything but snakes... But I, like most others feel comfortable here. You have never led me astray in my new herp. hobby for that I respect you all in many ways. I would hate to have to join another site when all I need is here. But I understand what you are saying, I just think you will loose a lot of conversation... Because I have one garter and that is it, so all I can tell you is what happens with my one little snake. I would say there is a large number of people who don't own tons of snakes on this site... We want to be involved too! I think others besides me will feel lost too...

Just my opinion... Andrea
    ANDREA
    "Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows"

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

I say just keep non garter post in the non garter sections. Pretty simple.
    Amanda Tolleson

"Preparing For Third shed" Steven@HumboldtHerps's Avatar

Hello everyone!

I am still rather new to the forum, but since I am involved in personal garter research, I know I will be connecting with you all on a regular basis. This IS a great forum! I am going to refrain from making any suggestions as to how best direct tham or non-tham posts. Instead I will simply state how I choose to use the forum.

First and foremost, I view this site as I view my own: an information hub/exchange. Now I do love to post pics for the sake of sharing knowledge of garter variability, etc., and I understand it is easy to get into a "show and tell" mode (and this can become an adventure in vanity as aforementioned regarding pic posts on other forums). However, I have to agree with some of the members.... I don't have the time or patience to view or answer so many of the posts I see (even the garter posts). I do not mean to be rude or selfish when I do not view a post where someone states that they are expecting new babies or have posted pics of their new babies, etc, etc... especially when they are commonplace species, subspecies, or morphs.... I just don't have the time....and I do not currently breed garters. My use of this site is mostly for research or advice on specific garters (especially when it deals with wild behaviors, habits, genetics, and species within my region of study). I am trying to get away from the realm of excessive captive breedings, recessive genetics, which are common topics in herpetoculture.

Oh, all right... In regards to non-tham posts: I think, for example, a corn I.D. question should be directed to a corn site. In the case where we discuss theories about garter behavior or genetics and such, I believe it should be okay to cite info on other herps where it pertains to the garter subject being addressed. This has been the case with the recent "social behavior" thread.

Also, this is a forum for both the professional AND the amateur! We filter out what we need and what we don't need. As long as all of us get something out of this communication board, then the site serves its purpose. We don't even all have to agree; I have already witnessed strong controversy here, ripe with both insight and ignorance. Chances are, some of us are coming out of this with some new knowledge...

All in all, we should never forget that this site should not be for the betterment of our own egos; it should be for the continued healthy existence of our Thamnophis friends.

So I am not going to go into how I now need to study my native prairie grasses species lists for work tomorrow, as this has nothing to do with garter snakes; nor am I going to mention the fact that this weed elimination job has put me face to face with Western Yellow-bellied Racers almost on a daily basis.... LOL!

Steve

maybe it's something else . . . maybe it's me . . .
    oh, I don't know
    I'm feeling a bit lost on the forum and I know it's in part because I've been busy and I no longer have a low paying part time job with computer access and little else to do
    maybe the forum hasn't, but I may have lost my way
    how do those of you who are only here occasionally cope with the sheer abundance of threads and posts?
    I need to take another look at the tools and figure out how not to miss out on what's happening here, when I just can't read everything
    any hot tips and strategy suggestions are greatly appreciated
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

What I do is quickly scan down the list of threads, if I started it, and folks have posted replies, I feel obligated to continue on and reply, since I started it in the first place.

Second order of priority, interest. If I am really busy, "new pictures of fluffy" gets passed over until I have some more time.

I always try to say a quick "hello" to new members. And no one expects you to reply to everything

One thing that I have noticed, new threads starting that could have easily been added to a pre-existing thread. I see that all the time, parallel discussions on the same topic.

Keeping on topic would reduce the clutter as well, I have seen entire threads start out as important discussions only to turn into dribble about completely unrelated subjects.

I can't really give any good advice, since I read every thread, but the ones that I find the most interesting, are the big threads like It's oh so quiet and the Nature photography thread, as well as any thread that seems to be somehow informative. Of course the ones I've recently replied to are important to me, too.

The ones I just scan through quickly, are the ones dealing with some kind of drama or new acquisitions. But I don't usually miss anything really important. If a thread contains something interesting, then somebody is sure to keep it afloat.

I have the same problem. I deal with it by looking at the title and so opening a thread if I think it will be interesting. That way I miss out probably on a lot, but it's a way of filtering. I try to remember titles that were interesting to me.

Of course, for old threads like "It's oh so quiet and the Nature photography thread", I know what they are about and so I look at them if I'm in the mood for that
    Greetz, Hans

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
    -The Shawshank Redemption-
    www.kousebandslangen.nl

thanks
    that helps
    hopefully I'll get through this much too busy spell in a few weeks . . .
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"First shed In Progress" kurtnagel's Avatar

Just my two cents.

I just joined, specifically because the site is dedicated to garters. I found a fair amount of garter info sprinkled here and there, but settled here because of the concentrated expertise.

IF I ever get another species, such a a ball, then I will search for a site specific to them.

Kurt Nagel