Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

Re: Are These MITES??

i've helped sooty shed..... she seemed to really appreciate the help....... she just moved carefully through my hands while I held it and let her pull it off
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

I've never assisted with a whole shed, but I spend lots of time getting the last smidge of tail tips off them!
    Anji

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Aundrea's Avatar

Well the mites are still there but not as bad. Today I cleaned out the tank really well and soaked 2 snakies. Bennie and Swiper would not have it at all but they were in the water for a few. Max and the new guy soaked for 20 mins. None of the others has mites but i sprayed them with that Jurassi mite spray and the new guy also. I found 3 mites in the water he was soaking in and when I went to check up on them a few hours ago i saw 2 mites on the new guy and he let me pick them off. Hes so calm And i found 2 dead ones in the container hes in. His chin is looking alot better now. There used to be 2 black rows of mites on him now there is very few. . I will soak them again tomorrow and spray them.. I hope these damn mites will die soon..
    1 Ball Python Spenser
    2 Dekayi's Bennie, Max
    1 Ornate Boxie Turtle Lola
    1 Baby Russian Tortoise Lilly
    1 Beagle Dog Maycee

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

So aundrea...just curious....are the mites really easy to see? It would be pretty hard to miss them right?
    ~Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets23 View Post
    So aundrea...just curious....are the mites really easy to see? It would be pretty hard to miss them right?
    not really hard, since her snake is albino... they are small, tiny mites or ticks.
    sometimes are crawling on or around snake.

You can pick them off, & soak your snake in water. Water suffocates them.
    Stephanie

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

they are pretty easy to spot, IMO. As long as you have always payed close attention to your snakes you can tell when one has mites. Especially by the presence of mite poop! Mite poop comes in the form of tiny white dots that will be on the snake's scales. You can spot mites on an albino snake intantly, and you can spot their poop on a not-albino snake with a quick inspection if you don't find the mites themselves first when holding the snake and seeing the little bastards on your hand!!! baby mites are REALLY tiny and I noticed many times are a reddish brown color.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I found that it was not as traumatic as I first though to treat for mites. I kept the tank bare but for a couple of hides and paper towels for substrate, and treated until I no longer saw any mites at all, which took about 3 weeks. Then I re-assembled the tank and used Provent A Mite before adding the snakes back. I noticed that the Florida Blues have them.... grrrrr..... so will be stripping their tank this weekend.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Aundrea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets23 View Post
    On my albino no. You can see them very well. You can see them crawling all over him also. But my others I cant see them. I saw 2 on Swipers chin and hes a Red Sided. I checked them yesterday and soaked them and didnt see any on them. Just the albino one but I still sprayed them and soaked the ones that would let me soak them LOL. I didnt know their poop is white. Ill look for that on my others. You can spot the big ones they kinda hang off the scales and you can wipe them off or use your nail to get them. Im gonna soak them again and spray them in a few hours when my 2 year old takes a nap. Makes it easier when shes sleeping lol
    1 Ball Python Spenser
    2 Dekayi's Bennie, Max
    1 Ornate Boxie Turtle Lola
    1 Baby Russian Tortoise Lilly
    1 Beagle Dog Maycee