Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Re: The "Hoser review" of the genus Thamnophis...

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    Unicornius Pinkus is officially official. Anymore conflicting evidence doesn't matter at all, because I have a job as a professional gamer dancer. Everything is irrelevant.
    What evidence do you have supporting it? Also, since the scientific community is free to accept or reject all proposed names, even those made in accordance with conventions (eg. ICZN), I am going to propose that the clade consisting of Thamnophis and members of Adelophis (Pyron et al. 2011) be renamed Eutaenia, which is a defunct synonym for Thamnophis. The prefix eu- meaning "good" or "well" and "taenia" referring to bands or stripes.

Was this guy serious? Or was he just trolling for the hell of it. Was he on a mad lust for fame.

On a serious note I love science, but have no clue about publishing papers and the way findings are accepted in the community. But let's say a wrote a book on a particular subject, let's say processed cheese, and all I did was take facts, references and paragraphs from other published books on processed cheese without adding my own work to the book. I would be sued or at least accused of plagiarism.
    So surely if you publish a paper with no work of your own, whilst using others research it's a similar offence?

Like I said I have no idea on how it works.
    Sam 2.1 T.s.sirtalis 0.2 T.marcianus 0.0.1 L.g.floridana 1.0 L.g.californiae 1.0 Eryx colubrinus 0.0.1 P.g.guttatus 0.1 Python regius

Quote Originally Posted by Eight View Post
    Was this guy serious?
    Yes.

Was he on a mad lust for fame.
    Possibly that, too.

On a serious note I love science, but have no clue about publishing papers and the way findings are accepted in the community. But let's say a wrote a book on a particular subject, let's say processed cheese, and all I did was take facts, references and paragraphs from other published books on processed cheese without adding my own work to the book. I would be sued or at least accused of plagiarism.
    So surely if you publish a paper with no work of your own, whilst using others research it's a similar offence?
    Not as long as you cite sources and don't try to pass other people's work off as your own. You can compile information from dozens of books on processed cheese into a single book of your own, as long as you 1. Use the information in those books and not the text itself, and 2. Cite sources for every claim that's based on another person's work. You can take facts, but you can't take paragraphs, unless you present the paragraph as a quote and cite the source for that quote. You compile the information gathered by others, which, in itself, is a very valuable contribution. The Garter Snake bible is a prime example of a book that has been compiled in exactly this fashion (with 40 pages of source references and no original research).

Thank you for that. I've learned something new and I'm sure I'll find that useful in the future.

I seriously can't understand why he just couldn't answer the questions posted to him in a professional manor, as opposed to side stepping them.

Still, it was a giggle to read
    Sam 2.1 T.s.sirtalis 0.2 T.marcianus 0.0.1 L.g.floridana 1.0 L.g.californiae 1.0 Eryx colubrinus 0.0.1 P.g.guttatus 0.1 Python regius

Stefan, I do have evidence. I don't need to show it to you, though. It's there, but you just wouldn't understand it. I've had lots of people agree with me. And since I'm a professional gamer dancer, you cant challenge my knowledge.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

What was it that SCTV characters Bob & Doug McKenzie used to say? Yeah, that.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Okay...then I will change the scientific name of easterns to Thamnophis chantelus snakitus. Chantel, you change the name of northwesterns to Thamnophis marnieus scottus. No one can challenge us on that...since we are both now officially zoologists. I have willed it to be so. I will be posting a scientific paper on the internet about the mating habits of hippos later today...because I am an expert on hippos as of this moment. Btw...you can all call me Dr. Scott from now on....I have a Ph.D in zoology now. I swear I do....
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I feel that I should defend Hoser, because however misguided and flawed his thinking was, he was the least attempting to follow some scientific process. He thinks he gained the right to rename species by splitting up the established classes, which would be correct if he had evidence to back it up. Now the posts are blatantly taking the Michael.

I would have considered posting a defence, but with only a year's experience keeping snakes what would I know about anything?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    but with only a year's experience keeping snakes what would I know about anything?
    ]

So what? I'm sure many zoologists have never kept a snake.