Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Adult snake

Re: For sale section

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I think the legality issue is for the buyer to address if the seller has the legal right to sell.
    It's on the seller to determine if they have the legal right to sell and the buyer to determine if they have the legal right to buy. The only cross-border liability issues would involve federal law. In many instances, such as CO, there's less liability in having snakes shipped in than buying native species in-state. (any native species sold in-state must have documentation with proof that it originated out of state; sale of herps from CO is prohibited).
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It's on the seller to determine if they have the legal right to sell and the buyer to determine if they have the legal right to buy. The only cross-border liability issues would involve federal law. In many instances, such as CO, there's less liability in having snakes shipped in than buying native species in-state. (any native species sold in-state must have documentation with proof that it originated out of state; sale of herps from CO is prohibited).
    You said it much better then I did.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

It's on the buyer here in NC. A good example is venomous snakes; most sellers have a statement that it is on you to have the appropriate permits. They can't knowingly sell to someone without a permit, but they aren't obligated to check up on the permit status of every buyer they talk to.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KephrenJorgensen View Post
    I think it may also do some good to do some research into the legalities of keeping/selling Garter's. In my case, just having them is a federal offense, but selling them could send me to jail as soon as I turn of age for up to 1 year per snake. the laws for us Canadian users are not lenient in anyway, though they vary from province to province.
    Well which is it? Seems to me that if it's a Federal offense, the laws of each province is irrelevant. If it's a Federal offense, then that would be so throughout ALL of Canada. I believe it is illegal throughout all of Canada, to keep garters that are native. There are no restrictions on the importation, sale, keeping, etc. of non natives. At least that's what I always thought.

Anyway, I don't know what this has to do with the for sale section. Legality of sales and trade should be entirely up to the buyers and sellers to address.

It is up to the seller to make sure that they don't sell it to someone who can't own it. At reptile shows, I once wanted to buy a copperhead, the guy (knowing i was only 14 at the time) sold me the copperhead no problem. This last reptile show, I tried to get myself a nice Indigo Snake, before I even asked if the snake was for sale, the dealer asked me if I was from NJ and as soon as I said yes, he said, "Yup, she's a beautiful snake. I wish I could sell her to you but I can't sell her to you because you're from NJ."
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    It is up to the seller to make sure that they don't sell it to someone who can't own it.
    Not necessarily.