Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Help! Wild injured garter snake

She is near adult unless I'm seeing her wrong. How big around is she? pinky finger, index? From the photo she looks well capable of handling an adult night crawler. Here's a little scenting trick. Take one of the earth worms and cut it up in a small dish. Add a table spoon of water to the mix. Now, take the night crawler and scent the front half with the mixture. Offer it up, more then likely she'll take it. Do this a few more times and she will probably start taking them unscented. Offer some tilapia or salmon. If she takes that you can scent the worms with that also. Yes, sometimes the worms crawl back up but they usually go back when they encounter those rear facing teeth. Hope this helps.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    She is near adult unless I'm seeing her wrong. How big around is she? pinky finger, index?
    At which point? Lol. Right behind her head I'd say tip of the index finger, at her thickest point, maybe woman thumb thick. (I've seen some guys with thick thumbs! She isn't that big!)

I was hoping scenting them would work. I'll try that next time. Speaking of next time, when should I offer again? She ate two small I'd guess 3-4 inch worms today.

I'd try feeding today.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

Since it looks like Snakey won't be able to be released for a while, I would like to improve her tank as much as I am able. But as my hubby is currently not working, I can't spend much money.

I'm looking around the house and may check out dollar store for a bigger water dish, like Steve suggested. I'm assuming long and skinny works? How long should I be trying for, the width of the tank or more the length of the tank?

My biggest concern is heat. I currently have a heating pad (like one you get from Walgreens to use on your back) which is doing a decent job, but auto shuts off every 2 hours, which is problematic over night and when I'm at work. I looked into them and can probably afford the $10-15 for an under tank heater, but a reastat (sp?) or thermostat is probably too much. I have an old timer I used to use for my fish tank that can be set in 15 min increments. If I'm remembering the packaging correctly, it was for reptiles too. Do you think I could use that to control a UTH if I have a day where I can watch it pretty closely to get it set up?

When I next clean her tank I would like to change the substrate a bit. Because of my heating options, I don't want to just use paper towels. She currently is on colored fish tank gravel covered by moss on the cool side and thin agate slabs on the hot side. I'm thinking of replacing the small gravel with a layer of 1" ish size pebbles a couple inches thick with paper towels on the very bottom to absorb liquid and the agate and moss or maybe pine bark pieces picked up from the wood pile she lived in on top again. My thinking here is the rock will heat up slowly enough to prevent her from getting burned by the UTH, yet cool slowly enough to help maintain the temp since I will only be able to set it on or off. What do you think?

last I'm not crazy about the lid of the tank. Right now it is a glass fish tank lid with the opening in the back for the filter and stuff taped shut with duct tape, no sticky side exposed. Right now it does help keep the heat in. My concern is this doesn't have much air flow. It isn't sealed by any means and I open it several times a day to let fresh air in, but the humidity from her water evaporating is starting to build up. Once I have a more stable heat supply, do you think cardboard with small, pencil tip sized, holes punch in it with small rocks to weight it down would be secure enough?

An other free or low cost ideas would be much appreciated! Thank you all so much for all your help!
    Last edited by Myssi24; 10-06-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Typo

I'll send you a free rheostat and pad. Message/email me your address and I'll get it headed your way. A gift for your beautiful T. radix.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

Thank you so much! I am overwhelmed by the support I feel here! Everyone else just looks at me like I'm crazy for trying to help an injured snake from the backyard.

You're not crazy, just enlightened.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Old and wise snake

Awesome!!!!

Never shed

Ok getting worried about Snakey again. She hasn't eaten for sure in several days. (There is a possibility of a small worm this morning) I have to main theories. One, since her heat varies quite a bit and I haven't given her a light source on the recommendation of a friend who use to have a snake, she is following her instincts and getting ready to brumate (hope I remembered the word right).

The other possibility is I didn't realize how icky her tank had gotten till I took it completely apart last night. So she maybe didn't want to eat because of that. She is on paper towels now, with the agate slabs on top for basking. But seems to be actively avoiding food, like she will move away from it.

I'M thinking of putting her in a bath in case she got dehydrated. How deep should the water be? Just enough to cover half the width of her body or deeper? If they swim that may be good exercise to loosen her up.

Several days of not eating is no big deal but since we are dealing with an injury it's something to be aware of. Is she still moving the same? Same activity level? Quick head movements and the same amount of tongue flicking?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!