Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: Young Garter Not Eating

You didn't say anything about Sally's Silversides. You said don't feed any fish fresh or frozen...
    Also I think you're confusing thiaminase with potential contamination.

... I had a snake get a mammalian parasite from a batch of pinkies once that she eventually died from. I realize that that was a fluke, so I don't go around telling new keepers never to feed pinkie mice just because I got a bad batch once.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

BAHAHA, I just realized this thread is from last september and the OP never made another post.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Fish have parasites. Its pretty simple. Do some digging in this forum..put 2 and 2 together. Raise your own feeder fish...sure but i know i dont have time for that.
    Dan

First of all, I do raise my own guppies for young non-eaters. It actually takes next to no time and they multiply like crazy.

Secondly, what are you talking about? Seizures and B1 deficiency are completely different than parasites. Contamination is different from either of them. Which one did you think your snakes died from?
    Parasites die if frozen long enough-- actually research what you're saying. I have reason to believe that the store I was buying my mice from was lying about how long/deep they froze them which is why parasites make sense in that scenario. Parasites likely were not your issue with Sally's Silversides.
    Lora

I dont give a crap what was in the silversides that killed my snakes...they are dead. Get it!
    Dan

Uh... Sorry your snakes died. Sucks for you. Really has nothing to do with whether or not silversides are generally safe though.
    Lora

Then feed away!! OUT
    Dan

Have been. Will do. Have a 13 year old still pounding them down and in excellent health.
    This whole thread makes next to no sense.
    Lora

As long as we have your vast knowledge to keep us all straight
    Dan

Not vast. Just supported. Thought you were out.
    Lora