Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: garter food

Re: garter food

maybe closer to 1/2 cup and 1 pkt gelatin

ya thats what i meant
    ~~~Kevin~~~
    1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (george, checkers, turk and squirt)

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

The nice thing about this is that is is a complete food, vitamins, calcium, and protein in a very easy-to-digest form. I have always had doubts myself that an all rodent diet is healthy for garters. I have never used it because it often causes then to become obese, and while they look fat and happy to us, it's very unheathy for a snake to be too fat. I have always felt that too many rodents is a bad idea for garters since it really is not natural for them to eat that many of them at all. I have been using a LOT of trout and salmon lately, and I have some very happy garters! I still use rodents also, actually right now I am doing 2 feedings per week, 1 rodent, 1 fish.

I am going to try this recipe myself, except I am going to use both trout and salmon in the same mixture. My question is, what about adding some worms to the mix? As well as some frog leg meat and even a few pinkies??? It probably won't look ner as pretty (with the worms and what not) but it will be more varied!! I will have to use much more than a pound though, thats for sure!!! I fed today and every bit of the .8 lb filet was gone and they wanted more!

So I guess I am going to try making this stuff, except with more variety in the foods added to it!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Shannon dont add worm or anything except fish because the gelatine wont congeal that why we dont put the head the guts ...everything they need is inthere even more..
    with this food your garter will becomes round with more girth ...its easy to over feed the snake because they cant stop eating ..they eat until they are full full 2 days later its all gone they are ready to feed again ...your garter can easily becomes fat so do not over feed them ..its kinda hard ..
    one rodent one fish per week is good enough .im gonna ask to phil blais what is the equivalent mixture versus rodent ...

Quote Originally Posted by charles parenteau View Post
    Shannon dont add worm or anything except fish because the gelatine wont congeal that why we dont put the head the guts ...everything they need is inthere even more..
    with this food your garter will becomes round with more girth ...its easy to over feed the snake because they cant stop eating ..they eat until they are full full 2 days later its all gone they are ready to feed again ...your garter can easily becomes fat so do not over feed them ..its kinda hard ..
    one rodent one fish per week is good enough .im gonna ask to phil blais what is the equivalent mixture versus rodent ...
    Any chance you could type this again, en francais?
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

En francais bien sur ma langue maternel es- tu seieux??pas de problem.recris moi pis je te dit en privé ,sans probleme

kevin .you will
    you are brave .when its blended its like yogurt before the gelatin congeal.i burn a few cheep blender before buying my black and decker..its like 100$ her in quebec.its in investement ...i forgot the calcium in the picture.the gun is not necessary.

ok well i made my first bacyh the mixer worked well to blend most of it then i just spooned the mix onto a cutting bored and choped it in multiple angles about 200 times then scraped it against the board and spooned it back into the bowl i mixed the supplements into the fish first then i added the geletin mixture witch i hope dissovled enough because i stirred it forever then mixed it in with a spoon and then just spooned the rest into a ziploc bag like don now im waiting for the freezer results
    ~~~Kevin~~~
    1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (george, checkers, turk and squirt)

Great man its done already!.you deserve an award.can you send to us a picture of the result.Its gonna work and they will eat for sure.i dont know if the gelatin will do the job..your motivation may help .

Quote Originally Posted by crzy_kevo View Post
    ok well i made my first bacyh the mixer worked well to blend most of it then i just spooned the mix onto a cutting bored and choped it in multiple angles about 200 times then scraped it against the board and spooned it back into the bowl i mixed the supplements into the fish first then i added the geletin mixture witch i hope dissovled enough because i stirred it forever then mixed it in with a spoon and then just spooned the rest into a ziploc bag like don now im waiting for the freezer results
    you want to put the gelatin mix in the fridge for a while to let it set up..then you cut it into strips and freeze for when you feed....